Latest vinyl 'finds'.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Vinyl frenzy recently after a visit to a record fair on payday...

German Decca mint vinyl (average cover) copy of 'UFO Live', raw is not the word :) Dense music, even denser lyrics played by even denser folk ...quote from the MC "His fingers are so badly cut he won't be able to play for months". Always a sure fire way to win over an audience!!! I've had this on cassette for years and years and years, love it. I hated what they became but the first 2 studio LP's and this live one are crackers (all IMHO)...

Appealing to more mellower moments and on the green Warners label...

...and again...

JTS was flicking through some of the more collectable stuff and found this and liked the cover, my jaw dropped. I've had IABD's 'best of' on vinyl for years, never seen this 1st edition before, pricey at £9 but luurrrrve 'Bombay Calling' (aka Child in Time via Deep Purple) and 'White Bird', snaffled instantly...

Bargain bucket (£1) supplied this must have...

...and this must have...mint... £1 again...

Last but not least, thought I'd never find it...

...just been listening to it at a reasonable volume, Oh lordy, it's a beaut...

Need more storage room...

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

James Taylor mmmm... I knew you were a man of taste,

all you want now is Mudslide Slim :D
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

david C wrote:James Taylor mmmm... I knew you were a man of taste,

all you want now is Mudslide Slim :D
Got it already Mr C, agreed, it's brilliant. Green WB's label, Fold back insert cover. It was VG+ until I dropped it and put a clicky scratch across 'Machine Gun Kelly'....grrrrr... my fault I'm afraid.

Dry skin = no grip. [engage girly mode] Must moisturise more often [/girly mode]

DTB
Last edited by Dave the bass on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Couple of vinyl comments on 'Northern sound and Vision' thread on News .
May expand a little on this thread eventually ...

Mark
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Wot an interesting fred :)

I spy a Goldring lenco TT. Now, just how many of those did we throw into skips Mr Bass? :(

I have most Beefheart albums on vinyl, mostly for nostalgia sake really, as I rarely use vinyl anymore.

It's good to see the original album 'It Comes In A Plain Brown Wrapper' released on vinyl, would have been nice to see it released on CD but no biggie for most here to transfer to digital I suppose.

I have the CD from 1992 'I May Be Hungry But I Sure Ain't Weird - The Alternate Captain Beefheart' which are outtakes from the sessions that produced Brown Wrapper and Strictly Personal.

It's possible some tracks are exactly the same.

The CD is no longer commercially available but it's easy to find a used copy at a reasonable price.

I've attached a pic of part of the inner CD sleeve to show track listing.

Also, here's another take on Plain Brown Wrapper Link

I expect lots of you are familiar with The Radar Station site :)

I will shortly be getting rid of my vinyl collection. Most were used for many years of doing a Disco and are mostly heavy rock, for want of better labelling.

Unfortunately as most were used as tools rather than just to be listened to, I dare say most are not in pristine condition. Tomorrow I'm going to get the first two boxes from my lockup and will start sorting wheat from the chaff.

Those not in good condition I will probably give away. All those in good nick I'm not looking for silly money. There's two local shops here in Greenwich that buy vinyl but before I go there I'll likely talk to DTB on a telephonic device.
Attachments
beefheartweird.jpg
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I seem to remember the alternate versions of 'Beatle Bones..' and 'On Tomorrow' on there are truly excellent . I must put that CD in the car. On Tomorrow is one of my very favourite Beefheart Tracks.
Now what were the others ...
Petrified Forest
Pachuco Cadaver
My human gets me blues
Steal softly thru snow
Hare pie bake 1 or 2 I forget !
Click Clack
Circumstances
Sun Zoom Spark
Sue Egypt
Dirty Blue Gene
Bat Chain Puller
Ah well actually there are too many, this could go on for a while .

ILPS
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

OK, three goodies from an afternoon in Rhyl waiting to go to the dentist :

Beatles Hard Day's Night first pressing mono . Every time I go back to the Beatles I'm shocked at how good some of the tracks sound . On those early LPs on mono Parlophone the guitar sound just knocks you out of the seat .

PIL Second Edition - been on my list for a while and didn't disappoint !

BBC Transcription Disc Pink Floyd Live 1970-71 . Issued around 1983 . Great condition . Effectively an early Peel session . Second side is a GREAT alternate version of Echoes (the studio version is of course on Meddle) . I feel sure a tenner was a bargain for this, but transcription discs aren't listed in the R.C. Book . It's subtitled 'In Concert 307 (i) , (ii ) ' on the two sides .

ILPS
Attachments
KIF_0050.JPG
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

OOOoo, sorry for the delay Mark. I was dreaming :lol:

Now then, yes to the Beatles. Julies got a 70's reissue of Abbey Road and it's totally played to death, in amongst the crackles you can hear that lovel compressed soft bass sound and oooooothem harmonies and oooooo....cold shower time.

PIL. Hmmm. Went to see them, OK but it's only the 1st LP I know well when Jah Wobble was with them, of it's time but good (IMO).

PF. Oooo, a transcription disc. BBC sound quality and Echoes for a 10'er. Good find, I'd have snappled that up too.

Good stuff.

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Now lookee here, on the strength of £134 and the auction isn't over yet I've just bought the Cd for £4 inc P&P. Its probably crap but I'm dying to know.

At least with say Electric Ladyland its old, probably quite rare in quality quantity because of the types that wned it so long ago (inc. me) and of course sad but true, there are tits on the cover; so it sells for a lot of money but what on earth has this Kamakiriad got going for it. Nice word though.

Captain Beefheart I know (very partly understand and applaud) and am happy to see other fans appreciating etc etc

but

Kamakiriad !

Mystified of Beds
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^ :lol:

If I told you I'd have to........ :lol:

DTB
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I spect I'll get it next week - looking forward!

Actually I think you did tell me about it and I've forgotten. But the I'd forget my name if people didn't keep calling me.

onwards.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

john martyns solid air album, like a prat i paid 23 quid for it, but its brill so i cant complain. thats vinyl for you, can de expensive but oh so much better than the cd. (hint: i have a crap cd player and almost boundless enthusiasm for a certain denon tts sound, and more money than sense. and thats not alot of money.........)
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

a couple of great record picked up in excellent condition, john coltranes traneing in, looks and sounds like its never been played and is a really good listen, the last track is a hoot to listen to, you can tell they were having a right laff playing it. plas johnsons positively. never heard of him so worth a punt i thought for a quid. best recorded piano ive ever heard! great condition and abit of 70s jazz coooooool, you can just imagine them playing in black polo necks, sunglasses and flared cords :lol: also a south african copy of the wall, again great condition and for 6.50 couldnt be left behind plus my other copy is so knackered as to be unlistenable..............(note to self: DONT LEAVE THEM WHERE THE KIDS CAN GET AT THEM!)
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

just noticed islandpinks pink floyd bbc transcription disc, it was a bargin for a tenner, ive just paid 36 quid for it on fleabay! (it is yellow vinyl though so i suppose that makes it ok :roll: or maybe not...........)