Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:sass'n'frassin cussin frassin claude hopper

:lol:

Yesterday we sniffed out the following.

50p...

50p...

To replace our knackered 80's reissue copy....£2 on nice thick Canadian import, EX+...

50p, Mint... I used to lurve this LP...

£1 to replace JTS's worn out copy...

In Ex- £2 bought...

...dunno what issue but it's a cracking LP innit....

50P...

£2 bought Marcus Miller and David Sanborn givin' it some...

One of the few JTS didn't have, £2 for a 'factory sample' it says on the label....

Another of JTS's, 50p bought...tatty cover by plays fine...

£2, thinest cover known to mankind housing the most pristine heaviest vinyl :) ...

I liked the colour of the label too, I'm not a big MJQ fan but it's nice to have a bit o Chamber Jazz to fall back on innit...

£2, super find was this PM's Gong, never seen this on LP 'cept on the 'bay..

And last and most 'spensiff (£5) EX+ copy of Focus 3, bought mainly for the track 'Anonymous'. I used to 'rock out' to this wen't I were a yoot....

...1972 lives on in our house...they don't make covers like this anymore....

Happy bunnies.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Dave the bass wrote: In Ex- £2 bought...
You old softie, you. I love The Moodies too, but I'd never dream of admitting it in public!
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

You, me and many others then. They are currently on tour and it's a sell out. I couldn't get tickets in Bristol, Cardiff or Oxford!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Dave the bass wrote:50p, Mint... I used to lurve this LP...
This took me back Dave. Went to see him and The Bojangles with a mate at Queens Hall in Leeds in December 1987. Seem to remember really good sound and musicianship, even though there was an immense echo coming from the back wall of the old warehouse. My mate runs Brixton Academy these days.
Dave the bass wrote:Another of JTS's, 50p bought...tatty cover by plays fine...
This was the "second edition" cover of the first album, IIRC. Just dug out my copy:
A woman sticking a gun in her mouth was a bit controversial at the time so the band changed the cover to cuddly teddies pretty soon after release. But I remember that after the first few cuddly teddies I only ever saw the original album cover so you may have the "rare" one for all I know.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote:
You old softie, you.
Nah, not me Shane...I'm deffo a rufty tufty.

Anyone that disagrees can take it up with my Teddy bear OK, he's big and strong an' everyfink... :)
simon wrote: This took me back Dave. Went to see him and The Bojangles with a mate at Queens Hall in Leeds in December 1987. Seem to remember really good sound and musicianship, even though there was an immense echo coming from the back wall of the old warehouse. My mate runs Brixton Academy these days.
I only ever saw him 'live' on't goggle box, he was very good as ye say. Really well performed and written 'pop' music, the bassist Cass Lewis from the live band went on to work for Skunk Anansie IIRC. Just listened to it again, yup, great to hear it again, only had it on Cassette in the olden days.

Tha's funny about the Academy, I used to got to loadsa gigs there as I used to work just down the road on the Camberwell/Brixton border, small world innit.
simon wrote: A woman sticking a gun in her mouth was a bit controversial at the time so the band changed the cover to cuddly teddies pretty soon after release. But I remember that after the first few cuddly teddies I only ever saw the original album cover so you may have the "rare" one for all I know.
Oh, I didn't know that about the covers, thanks Simon. It's JTS that is the fan, her old LP is in appalling condition (also fluffy toy edition). I'm sure its jam and peanut butter on her old copy...it's banned from being played on my TT but the latest copy is OK :)

DTB
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Dave the bass wrote:the bassist Cass Lewis from the live band went on to work for Skunk Anansie IIRC
Oh, here's another one I haven't played in a long time...
Is that Cass on the left?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

We must be in the Cass Lewis fan club :lol:

Yup, looks like him.

and here he is in action...

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Latest New Vinyl bought yesterday at the Heathrow Show...

Every home should have this LP, it's the law :) ...

...and this one too... hear where JayK from Jamiroquai got his 1st 4 LP's worth of ideas from...

And out on DMM super heavy 45RPM special edition deluxe whizz bang scrummy black stuff... Bjork's knockout debut, 1993, blimey, seems like only yesterday...

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

More bargain hunting today brings forth these 4 fer a tenner...

Tracey Chapman....I get all 'emotional' listening to this one :wink: ...

A late 60's mono copy of a Buddy Holly Greatest Hits on Coral, cover tired but Vinyl looks immaculate...

Next, one of those LP's I know every track off but don't achally own..."S'funny" I thought to meself, whats that orange writing on the cover all about (no, not the title silly)?

Achtung! It's a Teldec German i/p copy mit und heavyweight cover und VG blackplasticken...
...which is timely 'cos we're orf to see The Blockheads on Friday at a local venue. result.

And lastly but not leastly, the all-time best ever 'Super-group' in the 'Metal' Genre??? Dave Lee Roth quits Van Halen, grabs Greg Bisonette, Billy Sheehan (ex Tallas, 2 hand-tap stylee mega bassist) and Steve Vai (ex Zappa) and records the not so subtle 'Eat 'em and smile'... had it on CD for onk's. Couldn't resist it.

Could've spent a fortune today but didn't 'cos I haven't got a fortune... and a lot of stuff was soooo expensive EG James Taylors debut on Apple in 'fair' condition £30 <gulp>, Pink rim island Five Leaves Left good cond £150 <gulp> , 'Master of Reality' on Vertigo swirl £30 or £20 for a worn UK Spaceship reissue......Pfffftttt... see ya! Back to the Charity shops.

TTFN,

DTB
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Dave the bass wrote:Tracey Chapman....I get all 'emotional' listening to this one :wink: ...
Watch out Dave, the Happy Music Mafia will be after you :lol:.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

simon wrote:
Dave the bass wrote:Tracey Chapman....I get all 'emotional' listening to this one :wink: ...
Watch out Dave, the Happy Music Mafia will be after you :lol:.
:shock:

*checks who's lurking outside before playing*

:D

DTB
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I just snapped up the Tracy Chapman LP for 50p. It is superbly cleanly recorded isn't it?!

I'm shocked as up till now (oh okay, at Owston) I was used to hearing it on a very warmed through cassette.

I also got Mahler's 10th for £1.50 some crappy Live Peter Frampton for a quid, Andreas Wollenweider's White Winds for 50p (unplayed, I think!), Eagles Greatest Hits, brand new for 99p,,, oh and so on, Stev Gbbons Band anyone?

Still its a nice warm feeling in the guttywuts as I play them.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Steve Gibbons Band anyone? .
Go Tulane
He can't catch up wid jah!

That takes me back :D

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I just snapped up the Tracy Chapman LP for 50p. It is superbly cleanly recorded isn't it?!

I'm shocked as up till now (oh okay, at Owston) I was used to hearing it on a very warmed through cassette.
It's a veritable corker, one of my favourite test records.