Something for the TV sir ? ( FE103E )

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Something for the TV sir ? ( FE103E )

Post by IslandPink »

Been keeping myself busy in the last couple of weeks, as you do .
Just like regular speakers - only smaller !
( "They're man made. Little damn things. Smaller than my fist"
)

Just a first-stab attempt at an ML-TL using a pair of FE103E's that have been in boxes for a 2-3 years. For the TV, you understand . They are about 65cm high with a 12 x 12 cm footprint . I'm taking them on holiday with me, to run-in, next week in the Lake District .
Eventually I will try-out Bud's ENaBl method on them as practice for treating the FE208Ez's .
Attachments
FE103E_MLTL.JPG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Cool.

What's the TL tuning/sim look like?

Chris
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

I like the Fe103, mine are still in the vampyr cabs that Scott designed a while back, but I'm interested in how they perform in an MLTL.

Just finishing off a pair of microfonkens for the kitchen at the mo...
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Nice ! , I'm looking forward to giving them a proper listen - I only had a quick rough-check before they were finished, although the drivers on their own sound nice.
I expect Scott's design goes lower and is better-sorted than this one, which is compromised to fit in the space near the TV . The limit is driver excursion, which gives you about 80db/1m at ~100Hz for the XMax of 0.35mm on the 103E's .

Some info shown below, I did these in Hornresp -
Attachments
MLTL_schem.JPG
MLTL_response.JPG
MLTL_data.JPG
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

I doubt Vampyr goes lower -it's not designed to go very low. Bass and the 103 are words that sit rather uneasily together. You can force a bit out of them, but they don't thank you for it.

Re Xmax, the Fostex drivers overload fairly gracefully; audibly at any rater they just tend to sound more compressed than suddenly cracking up. Xmax unfortunately doesn't mean a great deal at present, since there are about 5 different existing means for putting a figure on it, none of which have exactly the same criteria, and they all give different numbers for the same drive unit. Sigh.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Here they are about a week ago just before I took them on holiday .
Definitely a success as far as my goals go . I listened to a lot of CD's through them and the bass sounded nice with good tone, down to their limit . Mids are good up to a point, but the 103E's need some tweaking ( treatment ) as there's either a rising response or some rowdiness in the upper mids and treble that adds a slight edge to the vocals and could be improved.
Attachments
FE103E_MLTL_2.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Something for the TV sir ? ( FE103E )

Post by IslandPink »

Bought a pair of FF105WK for these, by the way . I'm not sure they're any better out of the box ( rather sharp 7kHz peak ) , but I've been working on them as suggested by Dave Dlugos , putting 'Zig 2-way glue' around the edge of the back of the cone, just where it meets the surround and about 5-10mm in . Two coats done on one driver, will get the other one out of the speaker later and then do that & try them out. Still need running-in more . Meanwhile one of the FE103E's has been Enabl-ed and that wasn't (yet) a complete success, but I have more work I can do on that .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Something for the TV sir ? ( FE103E )

Post by IslandPink »

Only partially successful as far as I can tell. Back with the Enabl-ed FE103E's for the moment.
Meanwhile I spotted this one - perhaps something for the future ( bit bigger than the 103's/105's to be fair )
http://www.supravox.fr/anglais/haut_parleurs/135_LB.htm