Attachments
Quadkit_2137.jpg
Quadkit_2139.jpg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Nick,
see my early post about replacement socks for the 63's.

I'll be really interested in your thoughts on the performance of the 63's with the 405-2 amps. These are not that well regarded for driving the 63's. here's one comment typical of what can be found regards this amp.
QUAD 405-2
Solid-State ( Op Amps)

As the critics could not be overheard even in Huntingdon, Quad decided to overwork the current-limiting of the 405 and fitted an improved IC (TL071 series) and other parts. The sound is better than the original 405, but still not outstanding. As the original 405 it proved to be a very stable and robust workhorse and was used successfully in several pro-audio applications.
Having heard this combo with my own pair of 63's I have to agree and now I run elecrostatics with the GM70 amps NickG designed for me for this purpose.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

My 405-2 is extensively reworked (see my web site) - we'll see how it performs with this sort of load - my main concern is that the speakers are undamaged.

They have a colourful history - originally bought by Sir Clive Sinclair, he recently passed them onto a buddy of his who happens to be brother to the brother-in-law of a good friend (does that make sense?) with whom I do a bit of electronics & other design work.

My friend feels that they are not his thing, so has passed it all to me.

It was suggested that a letter of provenance might be a cool thing (it could be done), but Sir Clive can apparently be quite contrary at the best of times and is reportedly not well at present, so I wouldn't want to bother him - he was a bit of a hero of mine when I was just a young whippersnapper of an engineer... I'm just grateful for the chance to give them a good home...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Toppsy wrote:Nick,
see my early post about replacement socks for the 63's..
Thanks for that link - The wood should be fine to recover - Ill strip the existing finish with Liberon Fine Wood Stripper, bring the wood back up to colour, then several coats of lacquer & rubbing back.

I don't like the brown - very "70s" - so I'll go for black socks. Also, the clamp board and other electronics will need a refresh.

Then, of course, the panels themselves may well be FUBAR :(
Jazzman53
User

Post by Jazzman53 »

Hi Nick,
A few holes burned into the diaphragms from occasional arcing would have practically no effect on the sound or output provided the diaphragms retain tension and the coatings hold charge. Detached/separated stators, however, would mandate a rebuild. I have no experience with Quad ESL's but I did find this rebuild article that may help if your panels require repair:
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/ ... build.html

Charlie