Quad ESL 63s...

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Quad ESL 63s...

Post by jack »

Just been offered a pair of these FOC which have an interesting heritage ... in need of some TLC.

I'm aware of their limitations, but should still be an interesting listen, especially with the 405-2 driving them - should get them in a week or so.
Last edited by jack on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

You may be disapointed with the performance of the 405 with he 63's. The speakers dip below 2-ohm in the treble and the current limiting circuitry of the amp means it will only output around 10W at this impedence load so treble can be limited.

I found this especially true with the Sugden A21 amp a friend of mine has. The amp simply could not cope with the low ohm load and the resultant sound was all bass and lower midrange with hardly any treble.

For my 57's and 63's I got NickG to design me a purpose GM70 SET amp to drive ESL's and this is simply a stunning combination.

On the note of the 63's requiring some TLC I belive I still have a electronic copy of a repair manual for these speakers lurking somewhere. If you want a copy pm me and I'll see if I can find it. I also have suitable duPont mylar film for replacing panels and some electronic coating that may or may not still be usable. Again let me know if they are of use.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Interesting - which do you prefer - the 57s or 63s? They are very different beasts from what I hear (excuse deliberate pun there :) )

I'm a little wary of taking on yet another project as there are probably 50 in the pipleine at the moment and my priorities are driven by SWMBO, who also controls my life expectancy :) e.g. this weekend I'm not finishing a 2W PP amp using sub miniature valves. Oh no, I'm making a new fence for the veg patch (just got a s/h beast of a morticer).

Ho, hum...
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Darren's 63's used to sound great on a SE PX4.

57's are my favourites but I am not listening for the same things as most other folk.

Something I just must have (voicing of soloists be they singers or musicians just have to sound like the person is there in my room) the majority live happily without, and what they must have (screaming top end and thumping bass) I don't mind suffering a restriction of.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yup. Still never heard the mid on the 57's I used to have bettered.
rowuk
Old Hand

#6 63 for me

Post by rowuk »

The earlier Quads are simply missing too much for me. I had 2 of them stacked per side with a Decca Kelly tweeter that was decent but under 300Hz they were still too weak. At the time (early '80s) I found no solution for the lower 4 octaves. I tried AR3 and 10pi woofers, JBL15" (don't remember which ones) and even Klipschhorn bass cabinets. Not as a subwoofer, rather in stereo, one per side time aligned. The Klipsch horns were placed behind my listening chair closer, so they were also aligned. That was the best solution but still not good enough.

The 63s when decently positioned did a fine job to 80 Hz, they simply did not get loud enough without complaining. I had BGW, Crown, Phase Linear, Harman Kardon and Hafler amps. The AR 10Pi woofers in a 2 cubic foot sealed box integrated very well. Was fine for string and chamber music. Where they were most wonderful was evenings, late with cheese and red wine for "in head" listening sessions where the volume was deliberately set to "sensual" not "palpable". As a matter of fact when played at volumes considerably under "live", they were as accurate as reading the score (above 80 Hz). I have never ever heard a speaker do such a fine job with "too soft".

After a while I got tired of making excuses and then dumped them.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

All that rings true.

I am quite content at low listening levels.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I had a pair of 57's for a while, Ed came around and brought his push pull amp, they worked very well on it, unfortunately, and dispite the fine sound produced, they where too quiet on my my amps.
They had a very similar presentatation to my corner ribbons, except in the bass dept.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Best thing for you to do Nick, is pass the Quads on to me. I can collect. :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote:Best thing for you to do Nick, is pass the Quads on to me. I can collect. :wink: :lol:
Good try :)

Not got them yet - won't for about 3 weeks, which is just as well as I cannot move in the workshop at the moment - just resorting all my valves into new categories by type - not a small job as I have a sideline in trading valves (mainly cold-cathode stuff) and there are many 1000s to go through...
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

nickds1 wrote:
pre65 wrote:Best thing for you to do Nick, is pass the Quads on to me. I can collect. :wink: :lol:
Good try :)

Not got them yet - won't for about 3 weeks, which is just as well as I cannot move in the workshop at the moment - just resorting all my valves into new categories by type - not a small job as I have a sideline in trading valves (mainly cold-cathode stuff) and there are many 1000s to go through...
Your in good company, i too have far to many valves, but i have no plans to be a trader until i retire..
30's audio valves is my thing, although theres around 8,000 none audio in the loft that are no use to me though.. Thats going to be a big job to sort.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

You know you'll enjoy it Steve... ;)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

...arriving Wednesday. Along with 2 x Quad 405-2s (one broken), a 44 and some sort of Leak amp (don't know what one).

The 63s apparently work fine but the grills have been savaged by a cat.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

The 63s apparently work fine but the grills have been savaged by a cat.
I believe that One Thing Audio do replacement socks (grille covers) for the 63's. Simple enough job to replace them.

From my experience of the 63's these speakers do not travel well and unless they are transported in the original Quad packing boxes, with all the internal support structure they come with, the frames can twist in the boot of a car and uneven road surfaces. The stators are glued to the frames with what looks like some sort of epoxy resin glue and over time this becomes brittle and so cracks and debonds under the twisting and vibration when they are transported. Something to be aware of, as said, especially if they do not come in the original Quad boxes, and even then the panels can arrive debonded. I had this on one my 63's even though they were brought home in my car in the original packing boxes and were well supported.

You will know if this has happened as when you fire them up you will hear a crackling / buzzing noise as the stators are arcing over to the stretched mylar membranes. You will see a physical arch across the gap. If this happens you may be lucky and get away with just having to re-glue the damaged panel. However, you may not and the arcing may cause a hole in the membrane of that panel and will require a full repair and memrane replacement. Lets hope they arrive intact and undamaged.
Last edited by Toppsy on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Ooooh:
Attachments
Quadkit_2132.jpg
Quadkit_2134.jpg
Quadkit_2136.jpg