My daughters set up, more speaker building

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
steve s
Shed dweller

#1 My daughters set up, more speaker building

Post by steve s »

Some of you may know my daughter is lead singer / bass player in her band and also does alot of solo /accoustic gigs, she is supporting a member of Lindesfarne next week end.. She is slowly getting there?
To date most gigs have mics supplied so they all use their own combo's
Anyway ed gave me and old behringer mixer, which was very good but was also in the worn out stage of its life, she has a few gigs coming up where we need the voices on a seperate amp, the combo's don't cut it
Last weekend a trip to gear4 music and we came back with a new shure mic and a yamaha powered mixer,
Sounded really good when she sung in the shop through their big speakers, but what we had had at home... was not the same
So back to the drawing board , i have a pair of nice very heavy 10" drivers and i thought they would team up with nicely with an old celestion comp driver i had, so together thats the vocals sorted in an open back cab that ive started.
The second speaker is for the Bass, we tried the guitar with a heavy 12" in a sealed box, it seamed to work very well, so i've started on a box for that,
Knowing how a speaker reacts to bass ive used well braced 25m ply, but im am cosidering fitting a removable panel to be able to convert the speaker to open backed for her acooustic gigs, as open back sounds much brighter
So i've now got a few projects on...
Last edited by steve s on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nice one Steve, I hope it turns out alright on the night. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Hi Steve,

If you're around Sheffield and want to have a listen to some kit, gimme a shout.

IMHO, its worth going ported on everything - there's no sense in throwing away headroom with open cabinets. Bass guitar especially can get scary amounts of cone excursion without trying much - drivers rarely stand that sort of abuse for long. A ported cabinet with a suitable high-pass filter has minimal excursion, but stll plenty of output.

Would be happy to lend a couple of stage monitors or anything else you might need - I know how handy it is to have your own kit to rely on.

Chris
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Thats a fair point chris, i know for the bass we need some form of restriction on the driver, i had 100 watts up it in an open back cab, i did my best to hold a panel over the back, everything in the room was vibrating and the kitchen doors in the next rooom too, there is a scary amont of power in the air...

I had put the couple of 10"s in a 50w combo that she used her bass through, again open back.
it was really too good, as you could clearly hear the strings vibrating, it did sound very good, its just too heavy, i really struggle lifting it.

I'll stick with open back for the vocals for the moment as it sounds much better.. And how im using the drivers is more sensible. But i will keep an open mind and i will try some ported backs on the cabs just to confirm my view,

She has used such a variety of pa systems, the good ones are so obviously more realisic of whats going in, the speakers appear to be quite critical part of the equation - just like hifi.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Well im a liitle further with the cabs, they need some thick damping and the outsides covering, but not far off

I would guess this is in the wrong dept now, although music amplifier and speakers are part of the instruments...?
Attachments
image.jpg
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

steve s wrote: I would guess this is in the wrong dept now
Its cool! You're amongst chums! :)
steve s wrote: although music amplifier and speakers are part of the instruments...?
Yeah, I reckon so, Electric guitars sound a bit poop without 'em! Hehehehehehe (unless you're DI-ing into summat).

More pics!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"