The NORGE speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

May be missing something, but why not (next time) get the braces cut to include the outer part as well, so they are added as you build up the layers. Just include a brace layer every n normal layers.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Good point Nick and something I had thought about after I had the main frames CNC machined.

It's been a big learning curve building these and unfortunately using 25mm mdf doesn't stack up correctly for the spacing of the braces to be central between the driver through hole spacing. Further time on my CAD drawings is needed me thinks for any future builds to see how easily I can incorporate the braces as you suggest. I think it will end up with more than one thickness of laminations to achieve this.

The other issue I have found though the sheet material is stated as 25mm thick and to all purposes if measured with a ruler it is. However when you stack and glue them together any slight increase in thickness multiplies up as you build up the stack. Eight of the formers glued together actually measure 202.5mm or near as dam it. So when you have 41 of them stacked! Well you get the picture. This is not a problem if you build up a pair of speakers cut from the same sheet stock but would mean the positioning of the braces would not be spot on to the driver cut outs in the front baffle. Hence the braces are positioned, spaced and glued internally to the correct dims from the base reference which means the braces don't fit exactly in alignment with the 25mm main frames. As i said, a big learning curve with using this Translam method of construction.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Even the bracing is a work of art. Very impressive stuff Colin.

(Oh to have a CNC facility nearby)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Further progress over the weekend as I have managed to veneer one the cabinets and machined and glued on the solid Oak base and top. The photos show the speaker after a single coat of oil and don't really show up the speaker at it's best. I'll take some more shots tomorrow in the daylight and after the oil has dried.

I'm now on with veneering the second cabinet after having glued up and roughly shaped up the solid Oak ends for this one. Like the ones in the photo they get routed to final shape insitu after the main carcass has been veneered.

Jury is still out on the colour of the leather for the front baffle for these but I'm leaning towards a lighter brown than the dark brown leather I have at the moment. Should be sorting this tomorrow depending what my local sofa manufacturer has in stock.

Next up will be the TM version.
Last edited by Toppsy on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Fantastic work Colin, that looks lovely.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Excellent
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Stunnas :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Sssshhhhhoddy!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Thanks guys for the kind comments. Even the missus likes these and says I'm getting better with each new build and she is my most observant critic. Must say I think these are the nicest cabinets to date I have built.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Toppsy wrote:Thanks guys for the kind comments. Even the missus likes these and says I'm getting better with each new build and she is my most observant critic. Must say I think these are the nicest cabinets to date I have built.
She's right colin, best yet in my view
If they sound like they look ... Then they will be very good
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

Amazing! Great job Colin!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

A few more photos taken this morning.

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

I don't want to cause any alarm Colin, but somebody has sneaked into your listening room and relieved you of your 300B amplifier valves :wink:

The speaker cabinets are very sexy looking!
Chris :happy3:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Them speakers do so much bass that the valves fall out I've heard!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Chris / Dave,
AH well now, if you check out the first photo I posted on 15th with the speaker lying flat on the floor you will see the missing valves placed on top the other monobloc to the left.

Whilst applying the oil I kept dislodging the tubes on that amp with my feet so rather than risk breaking the tubes I removed them for safer keeping.