"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Dave the bass wrote:
Andrew wrote:Look amazing Colin...
Geddarooom! :)
Cheeky...
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Heheheheheheheheheh (etc).
zman
User

Post by zman »

Impressive stuff Colin, as usual. The construction looks top notch.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

They are extremely good. Major credit to Colin, but also to the feedback provided by Andrew, Nick and Chris. I heard them about a week ago -exceptional.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Looks like I need to make the next Owsters!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I've now completed both builds of the glued up frames and production has ceased while I await the internal braces and the machined Oak to make up the tops and bases. The CNC braces I am promised for the end of the week but the machined and planed Oak may be next week. One the problems with buying hardwoods in the UK is it is only sold as saw cut timber and has to be planed to thickness and squared along the edges. Though I have a planer and thickneser table machine, can't say I fancy doing this outdoors in this weather so have asked by local timber merchant who offers a machining service to machine plane the 25mm sawn planks all round with sqare edges and to 20mm thickness so I can biscuit join them to make up of the top and bottom formers. It'll be a simple task then to router around one of my CNC MDF formers using a template profile straight cutting bit. Simples.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

OK guys I'm seeking a general consensus of opinion on the colour of the leather for the front baffle to these floorstanding speakers.

The carcass will be covered in Oak veneer with solid 20mm thick Oak top and solid oak base. The front baffle will be slotted in the recess between the vertical rounded over sides that will be veneered. So the baffle will be framed by oak.

I have some black leather and dark chocolate brown leather courtacy of my local sofa manufacturing factory. The drivers are all black.

So which you reckon would give the best aesthetic look, the brown or black? Or to put it another way should you be in the market for a pair the speakers with the leather clad front baffle and Oak veneer cabinets which colour leather would you choose or your wife/partner prefer?
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Personally I'd prefer the brown leather. But that's because, er, I like brown leather. Sucker for distressed brown leather chairs etc. Black, I suspect would be the 'safe' / more universally favoured option.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Is there a Vegan option? :)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Dave the bass wrote:Is there a Vegan option? :)
Bondage rubber, maybe? :shock:
Chris :happy3:
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Given the choice, and probably not relevant since you only have brown or black, I'd go for a pale beige or light tan against oak.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Given the choice, and probably not relevant since you only have brown or black, I'd go for a pale beige or light tan against oak.
Thanks for the feedback. Colour of the leather can be any. I only chose the black and brown as these were offcuts from settee/sofa builds and were free. The owner told me these are the most popular colours and so the most offcuts going for nowt. He actually remembered me from our 3-peice leather suite we purchased from him last year and I helped him out with a water supply issue he had with United Utilities. I have just enough of each for one pair the large floorstandersso may make up 2 sets of baffles in each colour.

Should the vote be for a lighter brown or another colour that's no issue. May be I have to buy it though.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I tend to use light colours and have used a light coloured leathercloth as it seems to sink into the background a little more in my rooms
Especailly when larger sized speakers are used ..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I have made quite some progress over the weekend, picked up the extra CNC machined formers for the TM and TMM versions of the Norge range of speakers and moved the builds indoors to normalise them to normal room temperature and moisture before they get skinned in veneer.

I also had some internal braces machined as below:

Here's where the build is up to now:

The keen eyed amongst you will notice some of the formers are green! Seems my timber merchant ran out of the water resistant MDF whist machining my last order and had to go out and purchase a couple of sheets locally and that merchant uses a different manufacturers boards which though are moisture resistant MDf are green in colour. Very environmentally friendly. I had intended for 3 internal braces per speaker (the green ones) but in the end decided on 5 so had to make up couple extra form stock 18mm MDF using one the CNC machined braces as a template.

Should be ready to start veneering them by the weekend coming.