The NORGE speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

I popped round to Colin's for a listen this afternoon, and I'm glad I did.
The new cabinets look a lot nicer in the flesh - the photos look good, but do not do them proper justice.

The new cabinet construction has tightened things up considerably (and it wasn't bad to start with), and the speed and solidity of the bass is excellent.

An hour flew by, with track after track being played, and I thoroughly enjoyed the highly involving sound coming from these speakers.
I could easily have stayed for many hours more, and would have done so had I not had other things to go and do.
I look forward to hearing them again soon!
Chris :happy3:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I look forward to hearing them again soon!
Well now Chris, we, by that I mean myself, AndrewL and NickG are hoping to have a mini meet my place the weekend 21st March and you are most welcome to join the fun as would any other forum members if they wish to join us?. I hope Nick can bring along his new phono stage to try out on the speakers. Now that could be something special.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Hope so. :) I've been hoping to hear it for ages.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Lots of progress with the small standmount speaker in the Norge range of offerings. These are the TM version. I have built these with a recessed front baffle for use with a full face inlay grille. I have built both speakers though only one is complete and wired up with drivers, though I still have the grille frames to make from 6mm birch ply. Again finished in Oak. Grills will be black cloth. Haven't fired these up yet as I still have the XO'ers to make. Her's some photos:

Image Image

Image Image

After these it will be the larger TMM standmounts and these shall have a dark brown leather baffle.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Those look like they have some good sales potential Colin. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

They look cracking, Colin.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Elegant. :)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Scott,
They sound elegant as well mate. :D :D

I have made up some breadboard XO'ers as per your revised filter design for better phasing and in my opinion doesn't need any changes. Same signature sound as their big brother with great midrange detail and these Satori tweeters :roll: :D Don't need to say anymore. Bass isn't as low as the bigger ones but you'd expect that but the bass is surprisingly solid, quite deep and well defined and lower than I had expected. See what you and the rest of guys think this coming weekend.

One small change I did try was to reduce the inline attenuating resistor from 1.82R to 1.68R and though this brought out more top end air I thought it lost some the midrange and bass so went back to the 1.82R. I know this should be 1.8R but I don't have a quality mundorf or Jenson resistor in that value so had to series up a 1.0R and 0.82R. Close enough for me. Similarly I didn't have any suitable 33uF caps so have paralleled up 25uf and 8.2uF Ansars.

Overall I think we can be quite proud of ourselves with these Scott.

Just need to make up the grilles now and then some proper height stands for them.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Nice one Colin. :)

1.82ohm, not 1.8ohm? I think 0.011% falls within 'reasonable tolerance'. ;) Likewise for the caps.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Cant help it, but you find that is 1.1%, not 0.011%
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Tollerances aside guys, I was playing with trying out the original XO filter Scott sent me for the TM's which is based on the same filter as the big floorstanders. This uses the exact same value components but a larger value attenuation resistor on the tweeter to suit the lower efficiency of the speakers and a smaller size inductor on the mid-woofer.

Now I know Scott had reservations on this filter design in this particular smaller design due to phasing issues (?) But having listened to the speakers with this filter in comparison to the more perfect filter I reckon it adds something extra to the sound, call it added emotion, that is lacking with the other. I'm sure this is down to the higher order filter of the one I built first and the one that Scott says is technically better. I have found in the past that with higher order filters it somehow looses something in the sound. Anyway something to compare over the weekend. I'll be interested to see what you guys think between the two.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Toppsy wrote: I'm sure this is down to the higher order filter of the one I built first and the one that Scott says is technically better. I have found in the past that with higher order filters it somehow looses something in the sound.
:thumbup:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Nick wrote:Cant help it, but you find that is 1.1%, not 0.011%
Er, true. Either way, my heart is not breaking over the difference. ;)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

IslandPink wrote:
Toppsy wrote: I'm sure this is down to the higher order filter of the one I built first and the one that Scott says is technically better. I have found in the past that with higher order filters it somehow looses something in the sound.
:thumbup:
Interesting point. I've found using the miniDSP that 48db/octave LR sounds better than anything else. Easy to try with this as can be changed on the fly in a couple of seconds. First order wasn't nearly as good.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Actually Colin it isn't a higher order filter. The acoustic order is more or less identical, they're just at slightly different frequencies & with different offsets & shapes around the corner frequency.