Credit where it's due!

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#1 Credit where it's due!

Post by mainscablesrus »

Well its been a while, from the very first time I sat in Colins lounge and after 30 seconds of listening to the Edingdales I bought a pair. Fast forward a year or so and I asked Colin and Scott to design me 3 speakers for selling as my own brand, with input from Mr Gorham as well we ended up with three floor-standers using a variety of drivers, smallest being 4", then a 5" and yet to be ready 5-1/2".

I knew the 5" ones were stunners when I first heard them, others agreed when I took them to shows, after months of waiting for a review slot in Hi-Fi World (I wanted Noel Keywood to hear them) we got a slot and I packed them up in their purpose made boxes and waved goodbye to the UPS man.

Today I received my copy of Hi-Fi World and quickly scanned the pages to find the 3 page review, I am delighted! PLEASE go and buy a copy of Hi-Fi World and read the review, suffice to say the speakers achieved a 5 globe rating and Noel liked them a lot.

Thanks to Scott, Colin and Nick for their input with this, much appreciated.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye...
Got the magazine early this morning.
Well-done lads :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Just read the review online. Well done Scott and Colin. Dave, well done on getting Noel to review them. You are a lucky bunny to be marketing them :D

Just to confirm, are these the same speakers you used at the last Owston? They look like it but I just wanted to be sure. thanks.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

Post by mainscablesrus »

Greg wrote:Just read the review online. Well done Scott and Colin. Dave, well done on getting Noel to review them. You are a lucky bunny to be marketing them :D

Just to confirm, are these the same speakers you used at the last Owston? They look like it but I just wanted to be sure. thanks.
how do you manage to read the review online chief?

the last owston were the smaller ones, I did not bring the ones in the review cos guess what? they were being reviewed...lol
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

mainscablesrus wrote:how do you manage to read the review online
I'm signed up to Hi-Fi World online publication. I've not used it over the last couple of years so still have credit. When you sign up, you buy into twelve issues. It is up to the consumer when to buy an issue, so if you don't visit for a while, you retain your credit until you make a new issue purchase. So, to read the review of your speakers, I logged in and bought the latest August edition. The online magazine is about half the price of buying the physical product.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Out of interest, where did you come by the speaker name No 127? Seems a bit bland and obscure to me.....(just saying). Colin's previous builds have always, IMHO very attractive names.
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

Post by mainscablesrus »

Most of the things I sell under my own brand are numbered (well mains leads and other cables are) like the No.5 mains lead. Its fairly easy to guess where 127 came from if you can multiply without a calculator? :D
vinylspinner
User

Post by vinylspinner »

They are named after the metric size of the drivers, ie:127mm (5 inch)
Well that is my thinking anyway.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Thanks Nigel. With hours passed, any chance of you coming tomorrow?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
vinylspinner
User

Post by vinylspinner »

Working on it mate, trust me.

Just checked David's web site for the other models, my theory is correct, multiply the driver size by 2.54 and that seems to work out his model numbers, 101, 127, 165

Nigel
vinylspinner
User

Post by vinylspinner »

Scrap that theory..165 is not 5.5 inches, it equals 6.5 inches................

Thinking cap back on :oops:

Nigel
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Well I don't get it either, but then, when it comes to math, I'm very thick. Come one Dave, give us an explanation :D
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Maths ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

Post by mainscablesrus »

The No. 101 uses a 4" driver, 4" is 101mm (well actually 101.6mm but hey)

The No. 127 uses a 5" driver, 5" is 127mm

The last in the range is 6.5" driver (I hope) which is 165mm or (thereabouts)
vinylspinner
User

Post by vinylspinner »

Island Pink, sorry, I meant 25.4, put the point in the wrong place.

I was on the right lines then, it is the driver size, post 1 states 5.5 inch, not 6.5 inch.

Nigel