series heaters

We all start somewhere
ed
retired

#1 series heaters

Post by ed »

Is there any reason why you might not run 2 ecc8x heaters in series. I run ecc8x on 12v which I believe is already 2 6v heaters in series but I wondered if anybody knew if running 2 valves in series with 24v dc would detract...

I currently run all ecc8x valves at 12v dc, which is slightly starving them but they do sound much better to my ears than the previous 12.6v ac.

I have 2 x 24v 5a smps which would do nicely with a coleman reg to heat gm70s, the same as I do with SV572/811, so it would be great to use the 24v for the front end as well....

I would have to be a hypocrite and eat humble pie to build another valve amp, but it's awfully tempting...with another aikido on the front
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes you can. Watch your top valves heater to cathode though of they are all on same supply.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: series heaters

Post by simon »

ed wrote:I have 2 x 24v 5a smps which would do nicely with a coleman reg to heat gm70s, the same as I do with SV572/811, so it would be great to use the 24v for the front end as well....
G'warn, you know you want to Ed :-D
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

BTW Broskie writes quite a bit about running valves in series, it's something he generally thinks is a good idea.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Morgan Jones did some tests to see if there was any difference in the filaments of series (PCC) and parallel (ECC) valves. he could not find any, so concluded that parallel connected valves can be safely used in series.

Only of the same type of course. If its an ECC83 and a ECC88 then all bets are off.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

thanks guys....

a real dilemma, decisions decisions, oh waily waily
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be