loudspeaker measurement software

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
ed
retired

#1 loudspeaker measurement software

Post by ed »

Any pointers or recommendations for the above from anybody that uses this software.

I've just had a quote from audiomatica for the upgrade to my existing clio system...and I don't like it, don't like it at all.

Google doesn't deliver as many ideas as it used to in this area so I'm guessing that some products have disappeared.

I may have to keep the XP machine running a bit longer than intended...oh waily waily!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Is this 'LMS' then ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

A few possible options for you Ed:

-ARTA
-HOLMImpulse
-TrueRTA
-Praxis
-SoundEasy
-Audiotester
-Linear X LX500

-The first two are free, and extremely good (Earl Geddes likes HOLM I believe). Completely software based though.
-TrueRTA is much more limited but easy to use. Free to $99 for the top version
-Praxis = expensive. Varies a bit depending on region, so may be cheaper than Clio upgrade
-Soundeasy comes in at present at $249. Full speaker design package with decent built-in measurement suite (Zaph uses this)
-Audiotester. £39 Euro. Not half bad for the price. Bit more limited but decent.
-LX500. Like the full version of Clio, if you have to ask...
ed
retired

#4 Re: loudspeaker measurement software

Post by ed »

ed wrote:Any pointers or recommendations for the above from anybody that uses this software.
thanks Scott... :)

what I was trying to tease out was the one with the subtle green background to the windows which I'm pretty sure somebody on here uses. It was by a German chap and was generation 3 from my memory, but I can't find any mention of it.....I'm not sure, but I thought it had a breakout box for the mic with phantom power.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

No worries. German, subtle green & v3? That'll be Audiotester. http://www.audiotester.de/

Andrew uses it; Colin, Nick & I also do sporadically.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Scottmoose wrote:No worries. German, subtle green & v3? That'll be Audiotester. http://www.audiotester.de/

Andrew uses it; Colin, Nick & I also do sporadically.
Yep, does the job for me, used it for both electronics and speakers.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

That's the one, thanks Scott....

I'll give it a try. With a new usb interface/soundcard and a new mic it's still nearly £1000 cheaper than the clio upgrade.

I won't ditch the xp machine quite yet, but I feel quite positive about this, apart from table rotation it looks like it has identical functions..we shall see.

I could even get away without a mic if I could figure out how to get phantom power into a single ended mic..anybody got any ideas?..I might open up the audiomatica box and see if I can figure out what they've done.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

These do the job nicely.
I needed dual channel, but single-channel versions are available.

DIYing one would be an option, too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chord-Condens ... 35d1fcd640

Chris
ed
retired

Post by ed »

ed wrote: I could even get away without a mic if I could figure out how to get phantom power into a single ended mic..anybody got any ideas?..I might open up the audiomatica box and see if I can figure out what they've done.
Thanks Chris but it doesn't address what I was looking for to salvage the audiomatica mic. It's single ended and actually uses 6-8v. I just wasn't sure how they get the 6v into a single ended interface.

If I go the audiotester route the interface will have phantom power for the new mic anyway.....e.g

focusrite 2i2 about £100 or steinberg ur22 £100+
with
beyerdynamic MM1 about £140

the whole lot for less than £300 which compares quite favourably with £1650 for the new clio(not my upgrade price by the way)....

this is called progress, I call it manipulation of the unwary... when new machines won't run with older applications.
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

This also looks good for the money. I already use some of the Dayton test tools and all have been pretty good.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... m--390-792

It includes the mic, so for software only, probably one of the above might be better suited.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Thanks for the suggestions chaps..

I've bought audiotester and a steinberg UR22 and I've been playing on an old netbook. They seem to like each other. I ran the steinberg with the old THD software and the noise floor seems to be below -118db....

It's great to be mobile instead of carrying round a pc to do measurements with clio and it's PCI link to the hardware.

When I get the new mic I'll do some comparisons with clio, but I feel quite positive that this set up will do the job.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Can you do CSD with that set-up Ed ?
That's what I might try & do at some stage with all these speaker options I'm trying .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

CSD?
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Cumulative Spectral Decay (one of the various types of waterfall plot). Energy storage as against frequency.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Ahh..sorry I don't know....the spec/manual is on the web site

clio does, although it says it's used primarily for anechoic evaluation. As you may have guessed I've never used it so I'm of little help.

Can't find any reference to it in the audiotester manual.