Newbie in dire straits

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
bapu
User

#1 Newbie in dire straits

Post by bapu »

Hi all. I have resently come to the conclusion that fullrange speakers sound better than the 2 and 2,5 way speakers i have been building for the last 5 years.

But i have to start somewhere and i just don't know where. I'm thinking a small floorestanding speaker with aprox 40 - 60 liters basreflex.

Now to the question. Could you fine people please point me in the direction of a speaker unit that will do a fine job in such a box.

I first thought of the tangband 1772 8" but i was adwised against it so now i dont know what to think.

Sincerely Michael :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I'd say the Frugal-horn mk 3 was well worth considering.

Mine have Fostex drivers but some say the Mark Audio drivers are preferable. :wink:

http://www.frugal-horn.com/FH3.html
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I wouldn't say I advised against it, I just wanted to redress the imbalance of opinions.

It would be good if more people with knowledge of the Tangband gave their opinions to keep it balanced.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I've heard a few boxes using the Mark Audio A12P. A very good driver for the money to my ears. I have a pair I've yet to try in my open baffles.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

The Tangband didn't light any fires for me, like Ali I prefer the Alpair 12P for what it does well; it does very well.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Andrew wrote:The Tangband didn't light any fires for me, like Ali I prefer the Alpair 12P for what it does well; it does very well.

Andrew
Ah, thank God I thought I was the only one in the world.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I concur that for the money nothing I have heard can beat the current MarkAudio Alpair 12P but if you want something a little smaller then consider the Alpair 10P. In some ways I find this driver a little more engaging.

Pity you live in Denmark as I have a pair the A10P and A12P divers in similar design standmount cabinets for direct A-B comparison.

I reckon the A10P and A12P are perhaps the best available FR drivers in their breed and size in todays market.

Folk remark the MA drivers are not very efficient and for that recommend the Fostex or Lowther alternatives. I run all my MA drivers with a 5W 300B SET amp as I do belive Andrew on this forum drivers his A12P MLTL floorstanders that Scott designed for him and I built. In Andrews room the combination is very nice indeed and will go as loud as you like without distorting or the amp clipping. No doubt Andrew will confirm this. They are a very easy load to drive and I find they do not require any filtering.

So forget the Tangband, been there and sold on the speakers. The latest range of Fostex FR larger drivers don't really cut the mustard to my ears and all require support at the top end as they really are only extended range drivers. The MA do not require top end support but can gain a little extra air with a supertweeter coming in about say 12KHz or above.

If you post up what your design goals are and max size of cabinets I'm sure if Scott picks up on this thread he'll suggest a suitable cabinet design for you.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

+1 for the FH3 with Mark Audio driver!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

+1 for the FH3 with Mark Audio driver!
That would be with the latest generation Alpair7.3 then :wink: Though I know some prefer the CHP70 even though it really perks up with a supertweeter helper placed on top the speakers.

There is a largish thread on the FH3 speakers and if small floorstanders are your thing then these are very hard to beat indeed. I have built several pairs of these speakers using Fostex FE126, MA CHP70, CHR70 and A7, TandBand and unless you can corner load the Fostex don't expect much bass, though in their favour they are more efficient. None the MA drivers require corner loading in these cabinets as they are designed with a 6dB lift to counteract baffle step losses.
bapu
User

Post by bapu »

Thank you all. I'm happy to see that you all seem to agree that the best unit for me and others is the mark audio units. As i wrote previous i would like to build a basreflex. 1'st off all becauce its seem to be alot more easy 2'nd becauce of the design. But i must say that the frugal horn look migthy nice :D

Can the frugal be build with the ma 10p (i think the 10p might be better than the 12) please correct me if i'm wrong. Smaller units tend to have better midrange, i'm not sure if that's the case with fullrange units. The design on the picture can be build with a volume of 35 to 60 liters. Currently i have this solid state amp (nad 355bee) but i have a couple of friends with tube amps i can borough

Sincerely Michael :D
Attachments
This is the design i had in mind
This is the design i had in mind
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

What type of music do you mostly listen too? Its difficult to optimize a system to play everything, despite what some may say! Designing the system for what you like is the best is a good way forward, its all a compromise; that's the name of the game, I'm afraid.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
bapu
User

Post by bapu »

Andrew: I listen to jazz - swing - bigband and rock (not heavy/metal)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Toppsy wrote:I know some prefer the CHP70 even though it really perks up with a supertweeter helper placed on top the speakers
Someone mention my name? 8)
Chris :happy3:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

bapu wrote
Can the frugal be build with the ma 10p
Indeed it can. It is known as the Frugal-Horn XL. Plans are available from Planet10 http://www.planet10-hifi.com/, though I'm not sure if there is a small charge. Check out the thread here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ran ... 3-10p.html. You might have to join as a member of the forum for the images to become visible. I can pm you Dave Dlugas (Planet10) contact details if you don't care to join the DiyAudio forum. Send me a pm enquiry and I'll put you in contact.

Colin (Toppsy)
bapu
User

Post by bapu »

Thank you very much Colin. I allready have a profile at diyaudio. But i will read the tread right away. If i would use the 10p in a basreflex. how many liters would the cabinet need?

Regards Michael.