USB -> I2S -> DAC -> Happy Ears.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 USB -> I2S -> DAC -> Happy Ears.

Post by Dave the bass »

By way of increasing my grasp of computer audio and a good project to boot I've been trying to get this working since October. Inspired by occasional poster here 'nic' and our-Neal I bought a USB to SPDIF + I2S output CM6631a based PCB. I'd read of other folk using CM6631a to extract (?) I2S to be able to feed that into a suitable DAC, like the ESS9023 I'm using here, all off eBay, not a big bucks project but very interesting (to me). I've got to know 'Device Manager' quite well, over the last 2 weekends.

I think I've finally done it.... here's a screen shot of my laptop playing a 24 Bit 192 KHz via USB feeding the circuitry above. I think I've got the settings right, this is the bit that has tripped me up most.

....and to add the icing on the cake, the EDO'd Touch now see's the CM6631a interface and reports correctly (I think)....

Whilst it plays very nicely with the laptop PC via USB it's not perfect via the Touch, at the beginning of the occasional 24/192 track the Touch halts playback to re-buffering, I've heard of it but haven't had this problem before. 16/44 and upwards to 24/96 is fine... but 24/192 has the occasional stutter. I run the Touch wireless, not Ethernet. Could my router be struggling at 24/192 files? Any ideas?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Not sure wired would make much difference Dave, assuming you have a good wireless signal. Probably more down to the fact that the Touch was never designed to play files at this level. I used to get the same with mine, and it was hard wired, and that was at 24/92.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I hear ya Ali, but the main EDO'd Touch downstairs streams 24/192 through an AK4396 just fine. No bufferin'.

I'll borrow a longish ethernet cable tonight and see if it makes a difference over the WiFi with Man-Cave Touch running the I2S DAC.

DTB
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Is that via USB?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote:Is that via USB?
Nah, Coax SPDIF out the Touch. I'll try the USB-I2S Dac on the downstairs Touch too though to see if I can pin point the problem, I only got it all running this morning before I went to work. Currently listening to it here at work, had to install the correct drivers etc etc etc.

DTB
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Mine would work fine most of the time, I'd just get occasional buffering. Never got to the bottom of it though.