Rigidity and Melamine Particle Board

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Freddo
User

#1 Rigidity and Melamine Particle Board

Post by Freddo »

The experts here seem to pretty much know everything about the rigidity of different materials for speaker cabinets.

In my next speaker build I'd like to build a mark I version using melamine particle board. Would this material be rigid enough?

Also, a non-speaker question but one where your opinions on rigidity would be appreciated: could I build one of these (http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/09/ ... ork-bench/) using 1/2 inch melamine particle board instead of 1/2 inch plywood and achieve a similar degree of rigidity in the torsion box?

Thanks for any input.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

The Mk1 version of what? Probably not is the short answer, but it depends what you define as 'rigid enough' in the first place.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

could I build one of these (http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/09/ ... ork-bench/) using 1/2 inch melamine particle board instead of 1/2 inch plywood and achieve a similar degree of rigidity in the torsion box?
Particle board, even melamine faced, is good in compression but very poor in tension. So as Scott has indicated not likely. You'd need to use 3/4" or 1" particle board to get anywhere near the rigidity of the plywood. Assuming it is quality ply like Birch Plywood.[/b]
Freddo
User

Post by Freddo »

Thanks everyone.

Toppsy, you're absolutely correct about the tension weakness in chipboard. But the workbench has vertical braces throughout and this should alleviate the problem.

As the bench is essentially a torsion box, after some experimentation I think I'll have a crack at making it.

Thanks again.