RPi for NOOBS!

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Yep, work for me now as well.

Nice music btw.

Ray
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Now I can play the music on the usb stick, and also I have it working through the powerline adapters. I had to buy a new Ethernet leed. One of the ones with the powerline adapters works on the laptop but not on the pi. The seller of the pi said that

"One thing to look out for with network leads and computers. Network leads come in straight through and crossed over cables.
Any computer/laptop with a Gigabit network card will automatically detect the cable and make changes to work..
A raspberry pi only works with a straight through network cable, it will not function with crossed cables."

I think I must have had one of those in the pi all the time it was failing. When I had got it working I also changed leeds.

Watch out for that if you are also a Noob following this thread.

I haven't maganged to decipher the knowledge required to get into a network and find the music on the laptop.

This may not matter. I could just get a hard disk on a separately powered usb hub that I have ordered, and plug that into the pi with all my music.

So to recap the important lessons for Noobs are:

1/ If you have a wireless usb keyboard don't start with the program called Noobs as you won't be able to navigate and make selections. You probably need a hard wired usb keyboard.

1/a Raspbian is an operating system and it does recognise a wireless keyboard so you are landed and running if you have that installed.

But if just using it as a music player:

2/ If using Volumio go with LAN and if that doesn't work try another Ethernet cable. If using Windows load Bonjour for good measure.

3/ Don't play too much music radio because it makes the pi hang. I suppose that is dependent on your Router access speed. Mine must be pants. Only fix is to unplug and replug Pi.

I can see a future of the Pi fitting into a box with a Dac and a hard drive full of music. A couple of 5687's sticking out the top to exchange for the opamp in the dac and a couple of phono out's. Voila music, sit in arm chair and decide what to play at what volume. It would be a result.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:I can see a future of the Pi fitting into a box with a Dac and a hard drive full of music. A couple of 5687's sticking out the top to exchange for the opamp in the dac and a couple of phono out's. Voila music, sit in arm chair and decide what to play at what volume. It would be a result.
Something along these lines?

http://www.tjaekel.com/T-DAC/raspi.html

It would be easy to interface a RPi music player to a DAC via spdif by using one of the forthcoming HiFiBerry boards but there should be sonic benefits if the interface were to be via i2s.

My RAKK DAC board can accept i2s (and spdif) so I started researching how to do it. I thought that i2s is i2s is i2s but it seems that isn't so and there are scary mentions of kernel compiling. That said, Volumio and Raspbian offer i2s support for some DACs and it is used by HiFiBerry so I haven't given up on it yet.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I am hoping to spdif it to my ak4396 DAC if I ever get that repaired. Haven't looked for the problem but it doesn't work.

Or might it work on a 1541 DAC? Or is that too old school for the pi?
Last edited by Paul Barker on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:I can see a future of the Pi fitting into a box with a Dac and a hard drive full of music. A couple of 5687's sticking out the top to exchange for the opamp in the dac and a couple of phono out's. Voila music, sit in arm chair and decide what to play at what volume. It would be a result.
BTW, now you've got Volumio up and running on the network you don't need the laptop turned on to use it while you're settled on the sofa. Volumio is based on the Linux music player daemon (mpd) and there are plenty of Android mpd controller apps on the play store. I'm using one called 'Droid MPD Client' to control Volumio - it's interface is far superior to the Volumio web interface and I think they'll do album art too but haven't tried to crack that yet.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:I am hoping to spdif it to my ak4396 DAC if I ever get that repaired. Haven't looked for the problem but it doesn't work.

Or might it work on a 1541 DAC? Or is that too old school for the pi?
I've got a pair of Welborne lab DTO modules going spare; they're tube/mosfet line modules configured with inputs for differential DAC signals. used to be used in my RAKK DAC but have modified to use Llundall transformers in a passive I/V output stage.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Oddly I couldn't find that one, but this one seems to work!

The last link is to get a DAC to work and we are away!
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:Or might it work on a 1541 DAC? Or is that too old school for the pi?
I doubt if the RPi knows how old it is...

Are you planning on a HiFiBerry digi for spdif out?

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:Oddly I couldn't find that one, but this one seems to work!
Which one is that; it's got a nice simple interface?

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Maybe, first see if my muse spdif works off the usb, any chance of that happening?
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:Maybe, first see if my muse spdif works off the usb, any chance of that happening?
One way to find out, though I guess it'll be hard to tell if its working without a DAC to receive the output.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:Oddly I couldn't find that one, but this one seems to work!
Which one is that; it's got a nice simple interface?

Ray
Sound@home
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:Maybe, first see if my muse spdif works off the usb, any chance of that happening?
One way to find out, though I guess it'll be hard to tell if its working without a DAC to receive the output.

Ray
Yes I'll have to wait. I did once have a muse spdif with it's own DAC built in if I could find that I could try it, but immense task, it was put away down the lockup. Needle in a haystack.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Or a possible alternative as digital out is available on the RPi HDMI connector.

http://www.kandco.com/turtle-beach-offi ... lResults=1

Must be others available...

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

:D Now I am really happy :D

Listening to TheJazzGroove.com

The only glitch I am now getting is that if you select an internet radio station which is offline the pi hangs. I have to unplug power to reset it.

The GUI really needs a reset tool.

Or maybe use a remote power switch to restart the pi in such situations.

No problem playing usb accessed music files.