RPi for NOOBS!

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote:Hang on, have you plugged your Pi into your laptop via ethernet? if so I can imagine it won't work. The Pi can't see your router and get a ip address via DHCP.
Yes this is exactly the problem which I wasn't prepared for, others following will now know.
Nick wrote: You would need to make the laptop work as a bridge to do that. Try the Pi into the homeplug (assuming the other end of the homeplug is into your router
I am a bit stuck on how to connect pi to laptop, plus it is counterproductive as it would mean I have to use the laptop to work the pi, which would make the pi superfluous.

so rather than learn to do stuff which in the long run is superfluous I'll wait for the wireless usb gadget. But I do appreciate your assistance.

I understand (reading the suggestions on the web to others who experience the same issue) if you give the pi an IP address it can work on the LAN but not sure I want to learn that much computer knowledge at this moment in time. it may yet be forced on me to get functionality I would expect to make the pi non reliant on another computer. Pointless gadget in such a case as stated above.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

IDM wrote:Also Paul,

If you do try Volumio again it does take a long time to load (several minutes) so you have to keep refreshing Chrome with the volumio.local before the page loads.

Cheers
Ian
Volumio didn't load to the point of a GUI. Perhaps there isn't a GUI. Seems odd, but it is from a bloke doing it in his spare time who is simply into audio, so perhaps he hasn't written a GUI. I know you can control it from your phone or another puter but obvious to me a simpleton that functionality on the host would make a great deal of sense. Must only be me who expects the bleedin obvious.

I had ready an waiting an Android app to control the pi booted up in volumio but sadly due to pi not being on the network, the app was unable to find the pi. Obviously.

The whole failure is down to the pi not being on the network.

by the way volumio did seem to have loaded and the curser was flashing awaiting a command.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

As an aside I was also wanting to use this pi or perhaps buy others to control things around the home.

One obvious functionality is to make heating more automatically energy efficient. Monitor outside temperature inside temperature and against a time when home desired to be warm, adjust flow temperature and start up time for boiler. such controls are available from manufacturers but at a lot greater cost than the worth.

Secondly one could intercept the automatic decision process by loggin on with one's phone from anywhere and make overriding judgements..

Or if you've gone to pub and wife is home, check she hasn't put heating up, and if she has put it down again.

All this gadgets can be bought of course. but why not do it with the pi.

Temp is sensed by NTC thurmisters and boiler temperature is controlled by a resistance (the user control) in series with the primary NTC. So the control gear would select different fixed resistors as appropriate to the decisions made.

I am sure I can come up with other uses.

Lovely little gadget, just me that needs educating.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

All the Pi needs to do is be plugged into your router, not the laptop. Either get more homeplugs and connect it via them, or a simple switch like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/TP-LINK-TL-SG ... -/70261791
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

It is plugged in to the router. It doesn't connect.

Well established problem with few people finding a satisfactory solution. unlikely I'd find one.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Paul, Nick is right; I was suspicious that you had some strange connection when I asked you last night about where the Powerline connectors were attached. You could create a peer to peer network between your laptop and the Pi but you'll need to get a crossover Ethernet cable.

Once the Pi is connected to a Powerline or your router I expect it to connect to your network; it'll then appear in the network map on your Windows 7 laptop.

My second RPi arrived today so I'll be trying to connect it wirelessly later.

Ray
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

Hi Paul,

I must have misunderstood what you are wanting to do. With programs like Volumio they work headless (no need to connect to a keyboard or screen directly). The advantage being that you could box the pi up with a DAC and control it remotely from your laptop.

That is why the gui for volumio is on your laptop through a web browser, not the screen you have attached to the pi.

From what you have said this is not what you are wanting to do.

Best regards
Ian
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:It is plugged in to the router. It doesn't connect.

Well established problem with few people finding a satisfactory solution. unlikely I'd find one.
Restart the RPi once or twice, counting to 10 before powering it up. I've found my RPi can be sensitive if the Ethernet cable is unplugged from it but it always connects if I plug the Ethernet cable in and reboot it.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Just one example

"The USB controller used in the Broadcom BCM2835 (which is the SoC the Raspberry Pi uses) has buggy drivers which have been causing problems for many of its users. In addition to this, the Pi can only supply an unusually low amount of current to its USB devices, just 140 mA approximately, and using a powered hub to sidestep this limit exacerbates the issues caused by the USB drivers. Even Ethernet is affected as the Ethernet controller used on the Raspberry Pi is connected to the SoC via USB. This has resulted in packet loss and even total loss of network connectivity in certain situations. Attempts have been made in the past to fix the buggy USB drivers as there are other devices which use this problematic controller. None of these attempts seem to have achieved very much."
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

"For the time being though, USB and networking (which is implemented over USB) have a large catalogue of issues and incompatibilities. All boards have this inherent problem but YMMV on whether the issues bite you, as it depends on exactly what devices you have connnected and what you're doing with the board.

In addition to the above faults, the community discovered a PCB track layout error on the board which causes a proportion of the USB chips to overheat owing to an incorrect connection. It doesn't appear to be critical but wastes power and the heat may shorten board or device lifetime.

Relations are very tense on the forum, and the Foundation has banned people who express their concern about the faults."
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Have you updated your RPi's firmware?

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

IDM wrote:Hi Paul,

I must have misunderstood what you are wanting to do. With programs like Volumio they work headless (no need to connect to a keyboard or screen directly). The advantage being that you could box the pi up with a DAC and control it remotely from your laptop.

That is why the gui for volumio is on your laptop through a web browser, not the screen you have attached to the pi.

From what you have said this is not what you are wanting to do.

Best regards
Ian
Not at all, I would have been delighted to have used my android phone to GUI the pi as a music player. but since I had no connection to the network which I am not alone in experiencing even though some people's have connected many peoples have not. The other measures which led to you thinking that was my prime objective were objectives I had to introduce in the absence of function.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote:Have you updated your RPi's firmware?

Ray
No. that isa foreign language to me. Can I do it withpout internet? because it is not on the internet obviously.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:It is plugged in to the router. It doesn't connect.

Restart the RPi once or twice, counting to 10 before powering it up. I've found my RPi can be sensitive if the Ethernet cable is unplugged from it but it always connects if I plug the Ethernet cable in and reboot it.

Ray
Yes I did repeatedly attempt to do as you say last night more than ten times in a row. It never connects.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Just to repeat and elucidate.

MY Rpi does not connect to the internet through the lan connected to the router.

as found by many others as documented and posted examples of by me in this thread.

Let this be information without prejudice. A report of FACT.