RPi for NOOBS!

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:The GUI really needs a reset tool.

Or maybe use a remote power switch to restart the pi in such situations.
You can shutdown or reboot the RPi via the Volumio web interface. Click on the menu pulldown near the top right corner.

Ray
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks.

Also thanks for your patience. Also thanks to everyone else who helped me get to this point. I could never have done it alone.

I have just explained it all to Diane. She is very pleased because now with her android phone (a better one than mine by the way) she can also use the system. First time ever in our lives I have got Diana the slightest bit interested in my sound system.

Downside is she can turn down my volume while she's in the kitchen or the bedroom! Previosuly she had to come down or through and shout at me to turn it down. Now it'll be volume slider tug of war :lol:
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

A result then Paul. .....apart from the volume sider tug-o-war :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:Thanks.

Also thanks for your patience. Also thanks to everyone else who helped me get to this point. I could never have done it alone.

I have just explained it all to Diane. She is very pleased because now with her android phone (a better one than mine by the way) she can also use the system. First time ever in our lives I have got Diana the slightest bit interested in my sound system.

Downside is she can turn down my volume while she's in the kitchen or the bedroom! Previosuly she had to come down or through and shout at me to turn it down. Now it'll be volume slider tug of war :lol:
Paul, remember that the Volumio volume control will be in the digital domain = reduced digital resolution.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ah!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh good you can restart the pi from Sound@Home. the button says "restart this device".
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

Very pleased for you Paul.

I am still stuck on the I2S. I have managed to get Voumio 1.0 software to work, which is supposed to support I2S, but nothing from the TDA1541a DAC, which is very frustrating.

I know the DAC works as I use it all the time with my CD PRO2M transport via its I2S port.

I think I will have to wait until someone more competent than me can come up with robust software for I2S.

Cheers
Ian
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

The tdac which ray mentioned uses i2S and should work with Raspbian and Volumio if they have printed truth in the write up. But the DAC may not be as nice as yours.

I have a 250mb level B pi so the above DAC wouldn't work with it. (requires 500mb).

Surely yes a solution will come to you in time.

I will probably come a cropper with my lower memory size. First I'll try a usb DAC but very unlikely it will work with volumio. the talk is the usb out isn't good for audio because of the ethernet sharing it all the traffic gives jitter. I have no need to use a CD transport so won't have the noise of the transport. I may get away with usb.

Whether the software supports it I don't know.

Then there is always, take the audio from the hdmi and if so is that of sufficient quality? I don't know, is it?

I can see me buying a new pi and that dedicated dac which takes from the i2s.

But if you find your way to pick off the i2s and share in the software which is stated to work with i2s (Raspbian and volumio) I will share in your success. Like you, I am not the man to pioneer that.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Just a curve ball.

I wander if the pi would communicate with this i2s input dac.

Natural and Warm Sound

<General Properties>
- TDA1543T DAC(Inc. Heatsink)
- 0.1% Low Noise Thin Film Resistors
- High Quality Film Capacitor for Output
- Low ESR Tantalum Capacitor for Regulator
- 8V Regulator
- Gold Plated PCB
- Size: 46 x 31(W x D:mm)

<Specificatron>
. I2S Input(DATA, WS, BCK, GND)
. Output Voltage Swing : 2.0V RMS
. THD + NOISE : 0.018%
. Resolution/Frequency : 16bit/44.1KHz ~ 192KHz
. Supply : Regulated or Unregulated DC 11~20V/60mA

It's only $35 FREE delivery.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I have a question.

would the analogue out to the hdma be directly joined to the micro jack out? in other words is it pointless looking for better analogue output than the microjack?
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:The tdac which ray mentioned uses i2S and should work with Raspbian and Volumio if they have printed truth in the write up.
Paul, Thorsten (the man behind the TDAC) is a hobbyist like us, sharing info and making parts available occasionally. I'm sure he'll have had it working though, of course, ha has no control over what people do with their RPi.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:It's only $35 FREE delivery.
Don't know if it'll work with the RPi Paul; when you start digging into interfacing the RPi to a dac via i2s it seems to be more complicated than I imagined, however, for that price it might be worth a flyer. On the other hand, if you want something cheap, with better sound quality than the RPi's analogue audio out and that is known to work with the RPi/Volumio I would suggest the HiFiBerry DAC daughter board as a better route;

http://www.hifiberry.com/dac

it'll cost you around £35 with a pair of phono sockets and the mounting hardware, delivered.

Ray
Last edited by Ray P on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

It is a seductive option. May even sound better not sharing power with the pi. For experimenters to try..

It occurred to me yesterday that the DAC's consume so little power it could be battery or solar sourced then dropped to correct voltage. Might hear it?
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:It occurred to me yesterday that the DAC's consume so little power it could be battery or solar sourced then dropped to correct voltage. Might hear it?
I've been thinking about one of these...

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-ac ... power-bank

Cheap enough to experiment with.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

BTW, a type B typically uses 700-1000mW....

Ray