RPi for NOOBS!

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

You bought the RPi SH - did it connect with the previous owner? If it did then there must be a reason, if it didn't.....

Ray
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

I have a couple of RPs sitting around doing nothing....
I know they both work fine as I have used them both at home and work.

If you want I'll send you one on loan. Send your one to me and ill check it out...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes please Nick I'd like to take you up on that.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote:You bought the RPi SH - did it connect with the previous owner? If it did then there must be a reason, if it didn't.....

Ray
I know, should have bought a new one.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Since Volumio doesn't actually need a keyboard or anything else, just an Ethernet connection. I decided to strip right down to minimum. Put the Volumio sim card in, plugged into router direct and then powered up.

All the lights come on but when I go to http://volumio.local/

I get the message "this page can't be displayed"

So according to the Volumio instructions I install bonjour. Reboot my computer and repeat above with Bonjour running.

I repeat a few times. I restart the pi a few times always with the Ethernet plugged in.

If I plug the laptop into the same Ethernet it connects straight away.

I change the power supply for the pi. No change.

I go into my antivirus program and don't find a firewall is on. I defeat real time protection against their advice and try again. no change. I restore real time protection. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials with my bought and registered with Microsoft original installation of Windows 7, not a bundled or an upgrade version.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Got the second RPi up an running last evening; straight onto the network via Ethernet cable. Now running Volumio via wireless dongle and has been playing to itself all night. apparently without a hiccough.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I have sent the ebay seller a message. "Were you aware it doesn't connect to the Ethernet?"
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

All the lights are on, but nobody is home. Just in case, I have tried another Ethernet lead even though the one being used works on the laptop. No change. You would think with these lights on the pi was doing it's job. Can there be some incompatibility somewhere else? It is the Orange router called DOC662

Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:All the lights come on but when I go to http://volumio.local/

Yes, I get the same when I type "http://volumio.local/ " in. Now try a different way;

Connect up the RPi with the Voumio SD card and power it on. Leave for a minute or two.

Go to your network map (Start menu/Computer/Network) and look for a device called "volumio:root". If you see it, right click and from the menu that pops up click "View Device Webpage". You should get the volumio interface displaying in your browser.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I owe you a pint :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:I owe you a pint :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I think it's been connecting the whole time!

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

But you're not done yet; assuming it is actually working, you now have to tell it where to find some music and index it.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

By the way the seller replied

"I would put raspbian back on the SD card and check.

The board had rapbian installed and was plugged into the network to carry out sudo update and sudo upgrades, I was also using ssh to connect to the board as well as running a webserver on it.

I am 100% confident the network adapter is working as I was using it during the auction.

Iain"

He obviously knows a heck of a lot more than me! Must be a nightmare selling SH techincial gear to complete idiots. :lol:
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote:But you're not done yet; assuming it is actually working, you now have to tell it where to find some music and index it.

Ray
Yes I can see that, can I now just plug my usb into it hot? or do I have to reboot it with the usb already inserted? I am guessing 2 is the only right answer.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Now I must go to work.

At least I got it playing webradio through headphones. Things are a lot better than they were a few posts back.