DAC designs

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

dac shoot out as well then :D

i've been thinking about building a dddac but i can have a listen first now !
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

So what modules did you for then Nick, I'm getting curious....
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

One of the sp/diff to i2s boards, and one of the tower 1543 boards. I thought the i2s would be a good place to strat with for any other designs as its a easy way of getting a i2s feed. Its got a tent labs relocker on as well.

http://www.dddac.de/ma_dac31.htm
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Must get down to yours for a play....and a listen.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

You know where I am :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I have been reading this months HiFi world, in Noel's colum he comments on the problems with filterless DAC's, and remarks that the problem is one of aliasing frequencies being generated. Am I missing something, isn't aliasing a problem when a ADC is used without a filter limited input, not a DAC?
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Andrew wrote:Must get down to yours for a play....and a listen.
I'd be interested in coming out to play as well, especially now you've got a dddac set-up. I'd be really interested in hearing the stacked 1543's alongside Ian's 1541, and maybe we can borrow a couple of other toys (anyone with an isodac?)

Simon C
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I'd be interested in coming out to play as well, especially now you've got a dddac set-up. I'd be really interested in hearing the stacked 1543's alongside Ian's 1541, and maybe we can borrow a couple of other toys (anyone with an isodac?)
I think the plan is to do some of that at Owsten, but as always you are more than welcome, but you will have to talk nicely to Ian about the 1541.

How is the 6c33c going?
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

I can't make Owston :-(
plus I can't help thinking that you need to live with dac's for a while as some of the differences are subtle, and I'm not sure that the hustle & bustle of Owston would be the best enviroment for a proper listen.

I can try bribing Ian with more of my wife's soup, plus there's always the trump card of homemade chocolate espresso cake...as far as I can work out it involves mixing dark choc, a shot of espresso, double cream and alcohol. Always a winning combination.

The 6c33 has moved on slowly since your last visit, (family pressures and house DIY), I've had HT on the 6c33's but needs tweaking, its about 40v overvolted, and have the psu built for the c3g's. Maybe get power on these this week as the family is away for a couple of nights.

Simon C
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Nick wrote:I have been reading this months HiFi world, in Noel's colum he comments on the problems with filterless DAC's, and remarks that the problem is one of aliasing frequencies being generated. Am I missing something, isn't aliasing a problem when a ADC is used without a filter limited input, not a DAC?
I think he means "imaging" which, is a problem, and is kind of the reverse, I think.

-- Andrew
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Well I'll have my bu**erd, sorry modified :wink: Beresford and an interesting portable battery powerd DAC from iBasso...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I think he means "imaging" which, is a problem, and is kind of the reverse, I think.
Have you got any references to that, I have forgoten far too much theory about sampling :-(
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I posted this up a long time ago. I wasn't sure if it was relevent then, and I'm still not sure now....but here it is again, IMO the best description of what audio bits get up to.....

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/convertus1_e.html
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ah, ok, so without filtering you get a image between Fs/2 and Fs of the difference signal. But given that Fs/2 is > 20k, then assuming this signal has no unwanted effect on the folowing amplifier its benign.

I can see though if slew rate limiting or IM was generated thne it could cause a problem.

Think this justifies my amp rolling off signals above 20k, its just being a large reconstruction filter :-)
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Nick wrote:
Have you got any references to that, I have forgoten far too much theory about sampling :-(
I'll dig something out, as soon as I can.