Raspberry Pi UPnP Music Renderer

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Raspberry Pi UPnP Music Renderer

Post by Ray P »

My interest piqued by Stephens squeezeslave adventure, I got to wondering about a Raspberry Pi based rendering solution for my own computer audio system based around JRiver media centre using UpnP/DLNA.

Hardware wise the HiFiberry digital output card ( http://www.hifiberry.com/hbdigi ) on a RaspberryPi seems the way to go but with all these things it's the software that is the challenging bit but there does seem to be most of a solution available

http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/07/play ... revisited/

I used to code for a living but that was more than 20yrs ago so I'm outside my comfort zone at the moment.

Does anyone have experience in this area or alternative suggestions?

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Looks like I'll have to blaze the trail here then!

I've just ordered a Raspberry Pi and powersupply from the ModMyPi shop.

Will update in due course

Ray
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Sounds like something I would follow you with.

When that new spdif is brought to market it should be top banna standard should it? I know nothing about digital. Except that my muse spdif is apparently pants these days.

I've never done squesebox or anything else to date. RPi may be my entry into what is it called? streaming?
Last edited by Paul Barker on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote:Sounds like something I would follow you with.
And me. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

May I ask why you wouldn't go the Squeeze route? Personally I think it a great system especially if you want an all in one solution including internet radio (which I really enjoy)

For the kids, I'm looking at Bubble UPNP to look at the VortexBox. The can bluetooth connect their phones to their mini systems in their rooms. I could buy a Squeezeplayer app for each of their phones and then get them to use the Squeeze app to control that but they have music on their phones as well so I thought maybe just use BubbleUPNP.

And then you have this too http://www.raspyfi.com/

Soooo many choices :)

cheers,

Stephen
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Welcome along chaps...

I'm starting with the barebones Raspberry Pi; no daughter board at this stage. I'm thinking that a good first objective will be to get consistent music output into an old pair of computer speakers via the 3.5mm audio outlet on the RPi board.

I already have my music library hosted on a dedicated server running JRiver Media Center and have configured that for Generic DLNA, which I know works with the little Western Digital TV Live gadget I bought a couple of weeks back - so I have a functioning system already that I'll be looking to add an extra renderer to.

Ray
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

It would seem RaspyFi is not the game for you as it doesn't do DLNA UPNP AFAIK (blimey, look at those acronyms) although .... http://www.raspyfi.com/forum/wish-list/ ... -renderer/

cheers,

Stephen
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

izzy wizzy wrote:May I ask why you wouldn't go the Squeeze route?
Hi Stephen. Been there, done that, moved on - I got fed up with the squeezeserver releases breaking things all the time. I did own two SBs. Moving to JRiver delivered better sound quality and also opened up the possibilities of hi-res digital and I now have a few 24bit 192KHz pieces.

Ray
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Fair enough. Though Picoreplayer can do hi rez https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home.

But I'm not here to try and change your mind back to summit that didn't work out well for you. I seem to remember you've gone to a lot of work to get to where you are now.

Shame RaspyFi doesn't do what you want as it is sooo easy to get going. I tried it when I was having a very frustrating time with early releases of Squeezeplug. And then the picoreplayer came along :)

cheers,

Stephen
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

izzy wizzy wrote:Fair enough. Though Picoreplayer can do hi rez https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home.

But I'm not here to try and change your mind back...
No worries Stephen. My SB experiences were a couple of years back and I know things have moved on somewhat but I am where I am...

I've been checking out Volumio, which has superseded Raspyfi.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Izzy you are confusing me.

Doesn't a squeeze box cost a lot more money?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Ray P wrote: I've been checking out Volumio, which has superseded Raspyfi.
Ray
Looks like it might develop some DLNA/UPnP but not quite yet it would seem. It's amazing the pace of development in this area.
Paul Barker wrote:Izzy you are confusing me.

Does if you buy one. But you can use the Pi as a squeeze player using a tablet or phone as the remote. Squeeze Server runs on a PC where the music resides and passes tunes to the various distributed players.

So I have Pis in the man cave, the music room and the dining room that stream tunes from a VortexBox which is a NAS that stores tunes and rips CDs automatically.

It's all streaming of one kind or another. I just wanted something simple and it seems to work for me.

cheers,

Stephen
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

izzy wizzy wrote:
Ray P wrote: I've been checking out Volumio, which has superseded Raspyfi.
Ray
Looks like it might develop some DLNA/UPnP but not quite yet it would seem. It's amazing the pace of development in this area.
Yes, it looks as though Volumio will develop upnp/dlna functionality in the fullness of time, however, I think I might give it a try anyway as it is potentially very simple as it is essentially an embedded application so should work 'out of the box' and it should be possible to mount the music library - need to read a bit more about it but maybe an interim way forward?

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul, the point of this exercise is that the Raspberry Pi replaces squeezebox, or similar, hardware.

Ray
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote:

Paul, the point of this exercise is that the Raspberry Pi replaces squeezebox, or similar, hardware.

Ray
That's what I thought, which is why I am interested as a RPI is a blooming heck of a lot cheaper.

Izzy had spoken as if we were daft for wanting to do this, I was saying not daft, just can't afford a sqzbx