here we're

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
death&texas
User

#1 here we're

Post by death&texas »

I am jez truckin' to get into this UI. Everybody wants to create new UI software. It is like eating popcorn... we can't stop.
Al
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Go on! You're dying to tell us what UI software is aren't you!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

I can hardly contain myself!

Do tell us!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
death&texas
User

Post by death&texas »

User Interface - I am too old to think they need any more, but, there are billions of dollars at stake, sigh.

When I first wrote code for a living, the user interface was toggle switches on the front panel. I toggled in the boot strap loader for the KSR-33 twelve bits at a time. No SPAM ;)

Now I listen to home brew audio and dream whatever I dream.
Al
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Death and Texas. Is there a connection? Does one inevitably lead to the other?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

death&texas wrote:When I first wrote code for a living, the user interface was toggle switches on the front panel. I toggled in the boot strap loader for the KSR-33 twelve bits at a time. No SPAM ;)
Eh? A KSR-33 (Teletype Model 33) didn't have a bootloader - it was a "Keyboard Send/Receive" unit - a teletypewriter with no punched tape reader or writer - just a keyboard & printer.
death&texas
User

Post by death&texas »

Yes. I am not yet dead and now I live in TX. I had CFS/ME/whatever for about sixteen years and then the year before last I got cancer and the radiation and chemotherapy "cured" the cancer and in the subsequent months of "recovery" my CFS wandered off, exactly like it wandered in.

In my decrepitude, I became immune to taxes, do to the mysteries of tax law, but, I know death is just part of life.

Music is better than we deserve, and life without it is not something I ever want to visit.
Al
death&texas
User

Post by death&texas »

Oh, yes, ASR-33, mine had the magic punch tape reader/punch... 110.5 bits per second!

:)
Al
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Bring back the "Here Is" key. Thats what I say.

Hi Al, have you escaped from the Joe List?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

Hi Al, took me a few seconds there to figure out who you are.
Yes, I'm kinda slow.
- Jan -
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Lord have Marcy on us ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

welcome.....

spent many happy years bashing the bejaysus out of teletype 33 ASR..standard user interface for all ICL 1900 series...they had a little loudspeaker in some and the tune of some programs running was recognisable.....irresponsible types used to push biros through the cones..after which they just squarked..

ah, happy days, if not years.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
death&texas
User

Post by death&texas »

My first "real engineer" job, I had two DEC PDP-8E minicomputers. One with 4Kx12bits of real three wire core memory, and one with 16K of the "new" two wire core memory. The DEC manuals were superb. I learned everything I ever learned reading their docs and trying to grok the code in the two systems I worked on. Neither system had any UI when I started, except the Teletype.

Sort of the style of my career.

Couple years later, my QC computers sent alerts to the console operators of the machines we were monitoring...

Both those DEC systems ran at 800KHz... Almost a million!

Blather blather blather...

I wore huge Mickey Mouse earphone protectors to reduce my ear pain from the noise of the huge machines. High Tech in the early 70's.
Al
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

I'm an ex-DECcie too...

Started on PDP-8Es as well - still have a J11 (PDP-on-a-chip) on my technical-shelf-of-infamy!
Last edited by jack on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
death&texas
User

Post by death&texas »

Islandpink, The Quality of Marcy is not strained, it droppeth like the gentle rain from Heaven...

what you get on your shoes is not my problem ;)
Al