Idiot question on media servers...

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Idiot question on media servers...

Post by jack »

'scuse the daft question.... but for someone who is so computer-literate (I've designed ICs and bit of the Harrier Jump Jet), I'm crap at organising my music...

So, I was considering a Brennen, mostly because its neat, but it has no media re-broadcast capability. I also have about 600 or so CDs to rip.

What I'm looking for is something neat like the Brennen, simple to use, auto indexing (so it recognises a lot of the classical etc, that I have), acts as a media server, is reliable and not something made of old soup cans & string. Easy & fast ripping is important, as is reliability & quality...

I have a fairly dumb, 6-year-old Samsung LE40R74 TV, so I like the look of the WD TV-Live box - we don't have BT Infinity yet as we live in a small village - there is no date posted for when we'll have it, either...

Get me started on the right path, please!

EDIT: Obviously the audio system is always in a state of flux - currently its back to my modded Quad 402-2 (http://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Electronics ... rades.html) 'cos it heats the sitting room a bit...

EDIT-02: Should also have mentioned that we currently have Sky (not HD) and I hate it with a passion, though its a necessary evil until BT Infinity comes along. As the rugby etc. is on BT, I'm intending to move everything to BT ASAP. Will probably go HD with next TV too...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Zyxel NSA310, 2 TB HDD and dbPoweramp should get you started, and give you something that's low cost to run and reliable with it.
The Zyxel NAS range is DLNA capable, and can also run Squeezecenter if you can get hold of a Squeezebox Touch.

dbPoweramp you install on your computer to rip your CDs to FLAC (or ALAC).
Chris :happy3:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Another contender-> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIV-Juke-2Tb- ... 3cc98b89de

I use one, its that simple!

We have 2 x Touch's, 2 SB Radio's and a Controller running Squeezebox, its ace. I ripped my complete CD library with it and it ID'd each disk and got the cover art. We hammer it here at home and luv it.

Pop round if you want to try before you decide Nick.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

A Brennan! You'll be considering a Bose sound system next!

I'm not using the WD as my main renderer, just to get music to the telly system, and I'm not sure it will quite measure up to something like a squeezebox, though it's a lot cheaper now that Logitech have ended the squeezebox range.

I second Chris's suggestion of something like a NAS (if you go for something like A WD then DLNA will see them connect just fine). Don't forget that, even if the NAS has data replication you'll still need to take a backup and keep it somewhere safe. I also agree with the use of dbPoweramp to rip CDs; I've been happily using it for over four years now and it's never given a problem. I also use some software called Bliss, which checks and enforces some basic rules across your music library.

Ray
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

If you want the artists and categories to make sense you'll need an id3 tag editor. I use Tag And Rename, but I think they charge for that now. There are others.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

If I'm not mistaken DtB's server incorporates dbPoweramp, and it goes off to the web to find tagging details.
dbPoweramp does the same on my desktop.
Whether the tag details are any good is another matter - if you're ripping summat that nobody else has then you need to manually input all the details yerself.

I use Mp3Tag regularly for amending tags, and it's still free.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

I'm not overly impressed with tag data retrieved from the Internet; too many inconsistencies and errors so I generally check and add/amend when I rip with dbPoweramp, which has tag editing capability. If I spot something later I use JRiver's tag editing.

Ray
David
User

Post by David »

Is Bliss any good for managing duplicates?
David
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Thanks for all your ideas on this...

I suspect I'll do some research on the various ripping tools first - I already have a 2 x 2Tb (RAID 1) Netgear ReadyNAS Duo which suppofrts DLNA/UPnP AV players. The box is currently only used as a backup NAS for all the computers here running Acronis.

Hmmm... Much to consider, there is...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

This has just got a bit more pressing - SWMBO's kitchen CD/radio was killed by a chicken (I kid you not), so it's now urgent.

I'm tempted by a Vortexbox as per http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261079402974 - this does mean that my Multico Morticer will have to wait a while :(

What to put in the kitchen & other rooms then? I want DAB radio, and maybe even FM... How do you back up these beasts?

Ta
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Well, if you run Squeezebox Media Server on the VB and pick up (say) a Squeezebox Radio for the kitchen + bedrooms you'll be ableto access Internet Radio. Also if you pick up a 2nd hand Touch you'll have a value for money 24/96 player for your mains system too, install EDO and it becomes 24/192 via an external DAC.

I'm a VB fan-boy having lived with one for over 3 years now. 2TB is almost full now so I'm looking at more storage, Nuno of LIV has been very helpful whenever I've need support. I bought my early VB directly from him/LIV.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

nickds1 wrote: I'm tempted by a Vortexbox as per http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261079402974
I presume that needs a monitor to see what's going on ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

pre65 wrote:
nickds1 wrote: I'm tempted by a Vortexbox as per http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261079402974
I presume that needs a monitor to see what's going on ?
Nope!
You can access it remotely from anutha 'puter.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

So, get a VB, then....
  • 1. a Logitech Squeezebox Radio...
or
  • 2. a Logitech UE Smart Radio (which)
My understanding (feeble as it is) is that the UE is a lobotomised Squeezebox but that it can be made to run the SqB firmware.

The VB will source for the above and any SqB Touch in the area.

What about feeding to smart TV adaptors like the WD TV Live Media Player?

Also, what sort of b/w does streaming internet radio take up?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

nickds1 wrote:a Logitech UE Smart Radio (which)[/list]My understanding (feeble as it is) is that the UE is a lobotomised Squeezebox but that it can be made to run the SqB firmware
That has its own software for local library access.
The UE Smart Radio has not been well received by the Squeezebox community, probably because it's rubbish.

You're better off looking on Amazon or Ebay for proper Squeezebox products
Amazon currently have a number of Touch players for around about the original SSP.