Phase splitters

If they glow, this is the place to be
acorn
User

#1 Phase splitters

Post by acorn »

Which would be the better of the two phase splitters for a small Push-Pull EL84 amp , a concertina type or along tailed pair as used in the EL84
Dynaco valve amp taking into consideration the high frequency response, I would not like a falling top response after about 10K Hz.

Acorn
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Had you considered converting it to balanced input ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
acorn
User

#3 Phase splitter

Post by acorn »

Philip

I am looking to obtain the best high frequency response without getting to complicated, a lot of phase splitters suffer from high frequency roll off, so open to suggestions.

Acorn
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

I prefer the sound of the concertina providing it drives equal impedances over a LTP unless the LTP has a BIG resistor in it or a CCS - then the difference is moot to my ears.

Better than both is the iron concertina http://home.earthlink.net/~jeremyepstei ... rtina.html or an input phase splitting transformer such as the Sowter 3575.

James.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yes probably moot, although, I'd use the LTP, you'll get good balance if you don't mind loosing gain by using a high'ish value tail resistor and slightly different value load resistors say 2~3% smaller for the first half. you could also tweak the following grid leak resistors as well.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

Best ive heard to date (based on my preferences) other than balanced input is the transformers. These were sowter 3575s. Ive just bought some for a customers balanced output passive pre, brand new a pair is 124 quid including vat and postage so they aint cheap. But to me they are worth it, someone might have some second hand you could buy? Cheers ant
acorn
User

#7 Phase splitter

Post by acorn »

Thanks lads

Food for thought, indeed.

Acorn
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

+1 for 'iron concertina', if you can't do balanced inputs. This would be a gapped 1:1 transformer.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

umm isn;t it a gapped 1:1:1 or 1:1:1:1???
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

As per the input stage of this amplifier for gapped 1:1:1:1...
Attachments
6n30p iron concertina input stage
6n30p iron concertina input stage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Isnt that just cathode feedback? The actual phase splitting is in the secondary.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

JamesD wrote:umm isn;t it a gapped 1:1:1 or 1:1:1:1???
Sorry I was thinking of capacitor coupling, so no, is like a split choke. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Nick,

That is certainly one view...

or view it as a split load inverter as both anode and cathode deliver equal power into the two loads...

And the two loads are the two sides of the balanced output winding

Looks like a split load invertor, works like a split load invertor and sounds like a very good split load invertor otherwise known as a concertina phase splitter and this one uses iron to pass the power from input to output hence iron concertina....

It has very good balance and I guess that might be due to the double balanced nature of the beastie i.e. split load and transformer inversion...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

JamesD wrote:Nick,

That is certainly one view...

or view it as a split load inverter as both anode and cathode deliver equal power into the two loads...

And the two loads are the two sides of the balanced output winding

Looks like a split load invertor, works like a split load invertor and sounds like a very good split load invertor otherwise known as a concertina phase splitter and this one uses iron to pass the power from input to output hence iron concertina....

It has very good balance and I guess that might be due to the double balanced nature of the beastie i.e. split load and transformer inversion...
I guess it a tail of two splitters :-)

Or two splitters, one in the tail.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Always useful to have a split in tail....

But it also has enough cathode degeneration to reduce the anode gain to unity - as does a resistor split load inverter...

the nice thing about the iron concertina is that it impedance balances both sides so unequal capacitance in the loads doesn't unbalance the input unlike a resistive concertina