401 Serviced.

301, 401, plinths and assorted idler stuff
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#1 401 Serviced.

Post by Ali Tait »

Spent most of the day servicing my 401 ready for Owston. Not having used one before, how long should it take for the platter to get up to speed?

At the moment mine takes two revs at 33 and 4 revs at 45. It's also quite easy to stop the platter spinning with my finger whilst running.

Is this normal?
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Ive not owned a 401, but have played with idlers.
Doesnt sound right to me but i dont know 401's well enough to suggest whats wrong.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

No, that's not right, Ali. Mine is up to speed on 33 and 45 in half a revolution. I advised you to use Mobil 1 to oil the spindle bearing. Whilst I remain personally comfortable with that advise, Dominic Harper (Northwest Analogue) does not agree. Certainly Mobil 1 has a much higher viscosity when cold compared to what he recommends.

See http://garrardmatters.freeforums.org/40 ... -t570.html

This is a possible cause but I would doubt it. Once running, the motor has so much torque, it should not be easy to slow the platter down.

It is difficult to diagnose from a distance, but as you are bringing it with you and luckily, Dominic will be at Owston on Saturday, you will have access to the very best expert knowledge :D
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Aye! :D

I bought some of Dom's oil to use, and have fitted the thrust bearing kit I bought from ebay.

I note with the platter off, at 33 the idler wheel barely touches the drive spindle and sometimes doesn't turn at all. I bought a spring set and have changed the spring that pulls the wheel towards the spindle, but it made no difference, so I assume this is normal?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I also stripped cleaned and lubed the motor bearings BTW.
hifimaster
User

Post by hifimaster »

With the platter removed, it can be confusing that the idler does not make contact with the pulley. This is because the platter needs to be in place in order for the springs to pull the wheel in contact with the pulley, so dont worry about it Ali, its quite normal.
hifimaster
User

Post by hifimaster »

The lack of torque your experiencing is due to the platter and idler wheel needing re facing. Il do this for you on Saturday. Just need some wet n dry and water and some elbow grease!
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Nice one, Dom :D
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
hifimaster
User

Post by hifimaster »

Thanks for the kind words Greg and look forward to seeing you all Saturday
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Many thanks Dom, your help is much appreciated.