Open Baffle Suggestions

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

James, you appear to favour the Supravox over the BD15?

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Oh, and where's a good place to buy a pair of Supravox units? I know the BDs are available on Bert's website.

Ray
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I was going to say :
http://www.audiokit.it/
but it doesn't look like they have them any more ...?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Wolfgang Volstaedt still sells supravox if it's of any use......

his website is under spektrum audio
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Umm, Supravox has a UK distributor listed on their site, can't remember who it is off hand and the italian distributor has a website that one can order from.

Its not that I favour the Supravox over the BD-15 as I have used the 285GMF in the Quasar baffle a few times and it always works as an OB driver. I haven't used the BD-15 myself so I'm guided by Berts use of it in an OB...

We have experience of the Eminence Alpha and Beta 15s on OB to and they work very well but without the the last bit of speed or tone that the more expensive drivers have.

James.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

...but they are only £50 or so each...
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Agreed if you want the most bang for your buck then they are a super choice... I don't knock them at all...
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I was all set to buy some Beta 15 for my baffles, but the 18" Fane speakers I now use came up cheap so I went for them instead.

The 18" Fane are 15 ohm and the Fostex 100mm unit is 8 ohm but the series crossover sorts things out. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

JamesD wrote:Agreed if you want the most bang for your buck then they are a super choice... I don't knock them at all...
Oh aye, didn't mean to suggest you were James. Just comes down to how much you want to spend.

"Speed is just a question of money, how much do you wanna spend?" :D
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

James, with reference to your quasar drawing on the first page; I'm going to start putting the drawing into a CAD package. I assume all the dimensions are internal and for the finished item I would need to lay out the appropriate parallel lines for a different thickness of material to the 15mm Perspex you used?

Ray
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Ray,

Sorry I missed this post!

To be honest the drawing is a mix of internal and external measurements - depending on which I thought was critical when measuring for cutting... None of the dimensions in and of themselves is critical so one can adjust to make it work.

James
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks James.

Just pulling together the general direction, things seem to be settling on a Quasar variant with my Lowther EX4s coupled with the Supravox bass unit.

I've started sketching out the 'cabinet' in a CAD package to get cutting templates but that has raised a question...

If I've understood you correctly you suggested straightening the rear edge of the side panels to give the lowthers more support in them mid band. That seems at odds with there being little output from the back of the EX4 above a couple of 100Hz because of the filter module that is fitted to them? What am I missing?

Ray
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Hi Ray,

I think it is the difference between reduced rear output and no rear output. I haven't heard the Lowthers so this may be shaky ground but from inspecting the EX4 via pictures I would not expect zero rear output but reduced output from say effectvely none at 20KHz to zero reduction at 100Hz so changing the side profile will provide a bit more support to frequencies below 1KHz and above the crossover point of 200Hz or so. I wouldn't regard this as critical in any way and the normal Quasar sides provide some of this support but it just struck me as simplifying the cutting and providing a small reinforcement where the lowther can do with a bit of help. On the other hand it makes the sides appear more slab like and that can be a domestic disadvantage!

James
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks James.

Ray
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

There a fair bit of lower output from the rear of ex4 in open baffle, when ever i uses mine i'm always supprised, but they really dont go low on their own without a big horn being involved

the last time i used theEX4's was in a smaller H frame (very well damped otherwise they colour the sound) just before i moved on to the beyma's,

many heard them at Owston, i think even Ed liked them, so they cant have been half bad..

i used 2 x 12 in drivers in a 'loaded' baffle and the lowther off axis to help tame the upper mids, worked very well for a smaller cab.

ex4 have a rising rsponse that starts to peak around oround 2.5khz,
selecting wide band vintage bass drivers can work well with a fair over lap in the crossover, and make for a level.. ish (for a lowther) response.

a few years ago.. when i changed track from large back horns to OB's the biggest gain was in the bass, more speed, less colouration and the 200 hz region came to life, there is usually a dip there when a bigger back horn is involved..
best of luck..its not an easy task that your setting yourself.

with my ex4's my favorites bass helpers where the vintage goodmans 61 and 81, one of each per baffle, get the cross over slopes something like and you would be shocked on what you have been missing out on.. i was..
i would guess the ex4 has just a little more volume than james AER speakers so would not like to guess how well balanced the sound would be with a single bass driver, some tinkering may be required, although i'm sure james will dispute that.. :D
cheers..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number