Building the Fidelio Speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Very very nice.
I must look up the driver spec on that, but I'm sure they are really useful & sensitive like most of the Tannoys.
I also know how much heavy lifting and effort is required to manhandle speakers at 160-180L size around, while building - did that myself with the one 'Onken' I built a while back .

Respect Due !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Oh no - now I started looking the specs, I've seen some on EBay .
They look so great .... I want some ....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovely-pair-T ... 1940wt_758
Aaarg ! Must .... ignore ... :confused3:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

Yes, they're pretty hefty at a shade under 80Kg per completed loudspeaker. I like the HPD12's. They're a little livelier in handling transients than the 15's and I think they're a better choice than the golds if you prefer a fuller, tauter and more extended bass response. The treble response is the same because they use the same compression drivers and voicecoils as the golds, but the sound can be appreciably different not just because of the differences in LF response, but because the crossovers for the golds contain some errors on the original schematics.

I understand that they were developed into a dummy 8Ohm load and not into the reality of a rising load with frequency, so the original schematic values for the Golds do need tweaking on the LF circuit. the later HPD circuit changed the LF inductor from 1.2 to 2.2 mH and added some series resistance to the capacitor. This improved response.

Prices seem to be rising all the time for these drivers, and there seems to be few bargains about...most of those turn up in the local papers if at all!
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Vinylspinner and I visited Paul to sample has Fidelio Tannoy speakers. We were treated to excellent hospitality and a very pleasant unexpected lunch by his good lady.

The Fidelio's really do sound as good as they look. It's a big, big overall sound with enormous authority. Quite different to what I'm used to. They are extremely transparent and revealing. I have no doubt they would not tolerate poor quality source or amplification. The bass is thunderous and I don't think I've ever heard a speaker so clearly audible in the very lowest frequencies. They would put many a quality sub-woofer to shame. They worked really well with my 300B PP amp. For certain, after hearing this coupling, any argument that 300B's can't do bass becomes completely redundant. Although a bass reflex design, there is not one hint of the typical resonant frequency peaking often associated with this type of speaker. Midrange is nicely projected forward and the high frequencies are very clean and precise. They have great three dimensional presentation providing a really deep sound stage.

Paul has done an excellent job building the Fidelio's. Their finish is excellent and highly professional and a real credit to him. I'm trying to persuade him to bring them to Owston at some time in the future, albeit, they are very big and heavy and not easy to transport accordingly. I know, despite the difficulties the function room presents, they would sound wonderful there, yet they are excellent even in a relatively small domestic listening environment.

Would I have them myself? Well probably if I were a single person and I could afford them. They have a far greater physical presence compared to Toppsy's Edingdale's and my mrs wouldn't tolerate them :roll:

Thank you Paul for a great listening days entertainment!
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

ummmmmmmmm, why 'Fidelio'? Its a name I can't help thinking belongs to Lowther. As good as these speakers here appear to be they sure ain't Lowther.

Oh and if anyone wants a pair of superb 12inch Tannoy HPDs and crossovers I have some spare!

I also have a pair of DX2s (the sort of things you'd find in Fidelios proper) going spare too.

Both sound lovely and very very different from each other - odd that!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

Thank you Greg for your very generous comments. Kirsty and I enjoyed having you both over and I'm delighted that you enjoyed the day.

As to "why Fidelio" Andrew, well for one, there's no patent on a name as far as I know! :wink:

The name doesn't belong to anyone any more than your name is unique to just you. Secondly, I chose the name because it was Beethoven's only opera, and these are (to date) my only loudspeaker for the "Reference" range. If you read my website, I explain that clearly.

You're right, they're not Lowthers. There are no Lowther drivers to be seen in them, so I don't understand what you're getting at? They use uprated Tannoy drivers (uprated voice coils, re-coned and with new surrounds). They do genuine full range, no Lowther I've owned or listened to can do that convincingly. I think that Greg's comments above sum up what they are capable of quite nicely.

I know which I prefer. I liked some aspects of the Lowthers such as their speed and transparency but they could not do genuine bass nor were they suitable as uncoloured HF transducers in my opinion. I like the results of what I have worked very hard to achieve with the Reference Fidelios.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Reffc wrote:............ these tweaked Tannoys are genuine full range.......
Yep, 100% agree with that statement. Accepting they are dual concentric construction, they are head and shoulders above other so called full range single driver speakers we have sampled at Eggborough/Witham/Owston. They leave those alternatives completely dead IMO.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'm not getting at anything in general and more specifically not at you Reffc. And naming your loudspeakers after, as you say, Beethoven's only opera and perhaps why he wrote this piece of music too(?) is reason enough!

I have two pairs of HPDs and use one of them nearly every day; they are a reference for me from which I have great fun diverging. My woodworking skills are rubbish; (let's see if I can find and post a pic of my 12 inch Tannoys in asymmetric cabinets) but I wouldn't be without them!

Perhaps you weren't there that time Greg but I brought a pair of 12 inch HPDs in Tannoy Devon cabinets (the smallest). I'd just re-surrounded them and was very pleased. They seemed to impress the crowds at Owston and Tannoys continue to impress me. If I had a (much) bigger listening room I'd use 15inch Tannoys no probs.
Attachments
tannoyinside5.jpg
tannoy5.jpg
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

No offence taken Andrew :wink:

I like the HPDs; they're highly under rated as the MGs seem to have found favour but they don't have the same impact or bass response. Some people think that HPDs are brighter sounding but they both use the exact same tweeter, so it's often down to crossover design.

Your woodworking skills are fine judging by that photo. 150 litre cabs?
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh yes & although I may be unique I know of at least one other Andrew Ivimey on this small blue green planet where beings are so unbelievably primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea. What a depressing thought!
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Oh yes & although I may be unique I know of at least one other Andrew Ivimey on this small blue green planet where beings are so unbelievably primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea. What a depressing thought!
:thumbup:
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Paul, you'll get used to our Mr I, he's the resident eccentric, and we wouldn't change him! :D
vinylspinner
User

Post by vinylspinner »

Hello Paul,

Thank you and Kirsty for a very pleasant day out, enjoyed listening to some very good music played on an excellent sounding system, those speakers do sound very good indeed, you have done a great job there, also impressed with the Shelter 5000 cartridge, you must drop in and have a listen to my system at some point, I think you will be very impressed with my 401/ Zeta /Allnic combi, it will take something special to better it imho.

best regards

Nigel
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

Ali Tait wrote:Paul, you'll get used to our Mr I, he's the resident eccentric, and we wouldn't change him! :D
Neither would I! :lol:

Anyone who builds their own speakers is ok in my book!
Reffc
User

Post by Reffc »

vinylspinner wrote:Hello Paul,

Thank you and Kirsty for a very pleasant day out, enjoyed listening to some very good music played on an excellent sounding system, those speakers do sound very good indeed, you have done a great job there, also impressed with the Shelter 5000 cartridge, you must drop in and have a listen to my system at some point, I think you will be very impressed with my 401/ Zeta /Allnic combi, it will take something special to better it imho.

best regards

Nigel
You're very welcome Nigel. It was a pleasure having both you and Greg over. I'd love to visit as soon as I can make some time and will be in touch!