A New NAS

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ommmmmmmmmmmmm!

*enlightenment achieved!*

Ta Master Po!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Okay, the old QNAP isn't dead but it eats new power supplies at an alarming rate. The cheapy 12V 5A job I got from Ebay lasted 10 minutes before dying. So I want the easiest way of getting the remaining data of the disc (rather than piece together backups).

The disc is a SATA (Seagate Barracuda) I think formatted to nfs (not Windows). My only proper desktop is a 9 year old XP box with a spare 3.5" bay but probably IDE. Is this worth a try and will XP read it?

Alternatively how about an enclosure to turn it into a USB drive? They look to be available for a tenner.

Thoughts much appreciated.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: Alternatively how about an enclosure to turn it into a USB drive? They look to be available for a tenner.

Thoughts much appreciated.
That's what I use to read old hard drives. Mine is self powered (ie does not rely on computer for power) and has parallel/serial connectors for hard drive .
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

The XP box is too old to support SATA so it looks like a caddy. Something like this would do the job?
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

simon wrote:The cheapy 12V 5A job I got from Ebay lasted 10 minutes before dying.
Simon, that might just be what you get with some cheap ebay power supplies rather than a problem with the old NAS?

Anyway, as an alternative to the caddy, especially if you aren't sure what you have or how to do it or it's a one off exercise, is to pop into your local PC repair shop; most towns seem to have a local expert working out of a small shop unit. They'll have the kit and knowledge and aren't usually too expensive. Yesterday, the chap local to me quoted £25 to extract data onto a couple of DVDs, though he did say the cost might rise depending on just how much data was involved.

Ray
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Yes, I'm sure the ebay PS was built to a price - it was very light. That's three supplies it's killed now - the original, an expensive Maplin job as well as the ebay cheapy. Something's not right somewhere and I just want to get the data off and start again.

That's an interesting thought to just pay someone to do it though Ray, I hadn't considered it. Really I want to have access to the whole disk (400GB worth) so I'm going to give a caddy a go and see what happens. If it doesn't work I might have to find a local backstreet bod.