SMPS

We all start somewhere
davebms
User

#1 SMPS

Post by davebms »

hello all i have 2, 24 volt smps to try on gk-71 the got bashed and broken in the post.. but i got a refund so they are free :D there is a coil
that i think is an inductor ? they got snaped off but i have soldered them back in place the snag is they get very hot 20 mins and the hot melt glue that i used to hold them in place melts the rest of the thing seems ok

should that part get that hot :?:
Attachments
DSCF0352.JPG
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Probably ok you wouldn't normally use hot melt glue in an ambient cooled smps. Tie wrap.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
davebms
User

Post by davebms »

Paul Barker wrote:Probably ok you wouldn't normally use hot melt glue in an ambient cooled smps. Tie wrap.
thank for the reply i only used hot melt to hold them in position
so i could solder them back in place,, they got bashed so hard that
it snaped the wires to these things 1.3mm dia solid copper.. smps are rated at 10 amps 24volts,, seems odd that that other parts that have heat sinks are realy cool,, and this coil thing gets to hot t touch in 20 mins
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Wow !
Another GK71 heated by SMPS . Seems to be all the rage at the moment.
I'm wondering which part it was that came adrift, Dave - you didn't label it on the picture .
There are a couple of inductors, a transformer and at least one CMC in those those circuits - which I can see in your photo . Any clues ? if it's 1.3mm copper, I'm wondering if it's a 10A CMC on the output ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
davebms
User

Post by davebms »

IslandPink wrote:Wow !
Another GK71 heated by SMPS . Seems to be all the rage at the moment.
I'm wondering which part it was that came adrift, Dave - you didn't label it on the picture .
There are a couple of inductors, a transformer and at least one CMC in those those circuits - which I can see in your photo . Any clues ? if it's 1.3mm copper, I'm wondering if it's a 10A CMC on the output ?
its the large open looking coil thing,, sort off behind the red out put lead.

its near the output :?:
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Perhaps an inductor used to set the frequency so you could alter the oscilation frequency within reason by changing the number of turns, less turns higher frequency.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

So, it's behind the red output leads if your head is on the right , facing the unit ? :)
If it's the open coil thing with wire visible ( half surrounded by small electrolytic caps ) then I'd say it's a common mode choke (CMC) , used to get rid of some of the HF noise before it goes out of the circuit .
It's a bit surprising it's so hot, but I don't know enough about how hard they run these parts in SMPS's .
It's quite a tall, heavy object , not surprised it was vulnerable to vibration in transit .

I think the frequency is set much earlier in the circuit, it would be near the transformer, Paul , via a chip of some sort. If it's anything like the laptop SMPSs, they can sense the input voltage , and adjust frequency and ( particularly ) pulse-width, before it enters the transformer .

How are you dropping the voltage down to get 20V ?
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

You're probably right.
davebms
User

Post by davebms »

How are you dropping the voltage down to get 20V ?[/quote]

this smps has an adjuster that works fine :shock:
its deffo a CMC connects to the + side of the out puts (they are all connected, in-side so no need to parallel the out puts) i dont think much can be done :?: its supost to be 10 amp 120watts

is it possable to make a dummy load insted of a GK-71 so i can run it for longer ?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

davebms wrote:
is it possable to make a dummy load insted of a GK-71 so i can run it for longer ?
Use ohms law to work out a resistor value. :)

Work out the wattage and use at least double.

EDIT.

20v @ 3A = 6.8R (nearest standard value) and 61.2W

I suppose a 100W resistor might do for testing IF IT WAS ON A HEATSINK !!!! (without a heatsink it's only rated at 50W)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-Aluminiu ... 1e74cec73b
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

How about two 12v 20w lightbulbs in series?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Should be OK, but lower wattage - if you can find something around 22R with 40 or 50W rating, than you can parallel that with the lightbulbs and get closer to the real load.

Why are you concerned about running the GK-71 'for longer' ?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Worth mentioning here, as well as the GK-71 thread, that a Dell 90W laptop SMPS ( 19.5V 4.62A ) goes into current protection & doesn't work, when connected to a cold GK-71 .
davebms
User

#14 smps

Post by davebms »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300913220196? ... 1497.l2649

this is what i have, i think it may be ok, i have run it for 1 hr the CMC
gets up to 70 deg, im going to try a small fan to pull a bit of air round it

but its not small :)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

That's a beast Dave. Certainly man enough for the job ;
but on the other GK-71 thread -

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/view ... c&start=45

I've found a Sony 19.5V / 5.1A laptop supply is just enough and surprisingly quiet as far as line & radiated noise goes .
See eg. -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... 4&_sacat=0