Squeezebox Touch Rebuffering

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
little eddy
Old Hand

#1 Squeezebox Touch Rebuffering

Post by little eddy »

Squeezebox Touch has been up and running a while. It is fed wirelessly from a Netgear Readynas as seemed to be 'endorsed' by Logitech. Wireless signal strength is reported as being 75%.

Most if not all of my standard resolution recordings have been saved using dBPoweramp CD Ripper using 'lossless uncompressed' setting.

When I first started using it, it would start pausing while 'rebuffering'. Someone told me to disable many of the plug-ins which I did and this seemed to resolve matters.

Lately I have downloaded a few high res flac files and the Squeezebox has once again got the same sypmtoms. This is predominantly on high res files but also occasionally on standard CD files. This is also intermittent as I am currently playing hi-res without any issue!

The NAS has LMS v7.7.2. I originally put the audio start-up time up to 2 secs and just moved it to 4 but no better.

Any further recommendations? Getting a long ethernet cable is one option.

I also seem to have disabled the internet radio. Any idea which plug-in I need to re-enable (also the buttons do not seem to want to be re-enabled!)?
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Never had that one before Mike, maybe its faulty. Sell it to me for £100. :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Nah its faulty. Dave's a fool. Touch requires a very gentle and understanding er ... touch. I'll give you 30 quid. These things need nurturing.

Actually I am a happy owner of two Touches and tehy can drive me to distraction. They are lightly set up and can drive me bonkers unless I use them everyday. Its like they don't have a memory and want to switch off LMS to conserve their sperm count.

If you bear with them they are worth their weight on gold. If not, £30 is waiting.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Loads of virtually identical symptoms on Internet, try Google "squeezebox touch buffering problem"

The very few I looked at tend to involve wireless also

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

I'm intrigued by the comment of "lossless uncompressed".
Do you mean WAV or do you mean FLAC?
If the files are FLAC how do they compare size wise to WAV files of the same album?

FYI the Squeezebox family deal with FLAC natively, and hiccup and burp sometimes with other formats.

I don't ever recollect a ReadyNAS being an endorsed device.
Many NAS devices are too underpowered to cope with the rigours of running LMS.
Does the ReadyNAS have a Netgear supported version of LMS?
If not, then Negear don't properly support it.

The NAS I'm running is a Zyxel NSA310, and the version of LMS running on it is installed from Zyxel, and they've stripped out processor intensive function such as transcoding on the fly.
My library is 99.9% flac, and I have absolutely no issues playing files up to 24/192 over the network (both wired and wireless connections).
The last time I had rebuffering occurring on local files (on the NSA310) was when I was doing a rescan, which is a resource hungry procedure anyway.
Once the rescan had finshed there was no rebuffering.
Chris :happy3:
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Check what speed the SB has actually connected to the router at...Go into the router and find the list of connected devices, hopefully the connection speed will be displayed...is the network B, G or N? A B or G class device on an N network (2.4GHz) will slow the connection for any N devices on that same network.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I had this problem on an original SB3, just of FLAC not mp3, using an Ethernet cable fixed it, my wireless signal strength was quite low, however.

I suspect the wireless connection wasn't up to the job on the larger FLAC files which will require more bandwidth.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

This was the kind of impression I was getting from that googling I did.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Just flying back from skiing. Ordered a 10m lead that should be at home to try tomorrow
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

The Stratmangler wrote:I'm intrigued by the comment of "lossless uncompressed".
In dBPowerAmp CD Ripper, under FLAC encoder settings, you can select from "loossless Level 0 (fast)", through "lossless Level 8 (highest)" to "lossless uncompressed". I have used this last one.
The Stratmangler wrote:FYI the Squeezebox family deal with FLAC natively, and hiccup and burp sometimes with other formats.
All files I have ripped to the NAS are FLAC. I had set up the LMS for FLAC 'native'
The Stratmangler wrote:I don't ever recollect a ReadyNAS being an endorsed device. Many NAS devices are too underpowered to cope with the rigours of running LMS. Does the ReadyNAS have a Netgear supported version of LMS? If not, then Negear don't properly support it.
When I was looking on the Logitech site, under the support section I found comprehensive official instructions on how to load LMS onto the Netgear ReadyNAS.

Typically since coming back, I have had no issues with the 'rebuffering'.

A friend had me put a wifi channel ap on my phone. My router was set to channel 1 and after looking a few times, occasionally there is another distant device using channel 1 also. I have changed mine to channel 2 so let's see how things go as I really don't want to have to lift up the floorboards to fit the Ethernet cable.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

The Stratmangler wrote:I'm intrigued by the comment of "lossless uncompressed".
In dBPowerAmp CD Ripper, under FLAC encoder settings, you can select from "loossless Level 0 (fast)", through "lossless Level 8 (highest)" to "lossless uncompressed". I have used this last one.
The Stratmangler wrote:FYI the Squeezebox family deal with FLAC natively, and hiccup and burp sometimes with other formats.
All files I have ripped to the NAS are FLAC. I had set up the LMS for FLAC 'native'
The Stratmangler wrote:I don't ever recollect a ReadyNAS being an endorsed device. Many NAS devices are too underpowered to cope with the rigours of running LMS. Does the ReadyNAS have a Netgear supported version of LMS? If not, then Negear don't properly support it.
When I was looking on the Logitech site, under the support section I found comprehensive official instructions on how to load LMS onto the Netgear ReadyNAS.

Typical. Since coming back, I have had no issues with the 'rebuffering'.

A friend had me put a wifi channel ap on my phone. My router was set to channel 1 and after looking a few times, occasionally there is another distant device using channel 1 also. I have changed mine to channel 2 so let's see how things go as I really don't want to have to lift up the floorboards to fit the Ethernet cable.
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Neal wrote:Check what speed the SB has actually connected to the router at...Go into the router and find the list of connected devices, hopefully the connection speed will be displayed...is the network B, G or N? A B or G class device on an N network (2.4GHz) will slow the connection for any N devices on that same network.
The ASUS RT-N10 router is set up for 'auto' but can select b/g mixed, n only, g only or b only.

Under client status, the NAS is set for 'normal' but don't know if it would make any difference changing this to 'high'.

Unfortunately can't find the page with the connected devices.
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Try ripping them at a lower FLAC level (typically 4 or 5). This will make the physical file sizes smaller and easier to transport over the network without buffering, possibly.
©2020 Lee
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

...and take up less space on your drive. I think the most common default is level 5.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

...and take up less space on your drive. I think the most common default is level 5.