Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Well done Colin. Yet another truly shoddy job :wink:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Greg,
you should know we only do shoddy. Lets hope they perform really shoddily, hey :lol: :wink:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

:shock: He's covered up all that luvvly ply with sticky back plastic and plastered it in Castrol GTX.

Pffftttt...... 'amateur'!

:)

DTB

PS. Shoddy!

PPS. Very.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

And here are the finished speakers:

If Scottmoose is looking in on this photo he'll pick up on the fact the port tube on the right side speaker appears a little long. It is as I have to cut them back to length before I fire them up for the first time and start the long slow process of running-in the brand new drivers before Andrew come's down from Scotland next weekend to collect these beauties.

I'll post up some initial impressions when they have been running for a week. Not fair judging the performance of the drivers in these cabinets before then.

EDIT. Should anyone be wondering what the upper pair of binding posts and dial knob are for, well these are a adjustable L-Pad and output terminals for a supertweeter. In this case a pair the excellent Fostex T90A.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Feckin' shoddy :!: Can't wait......
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yep, completely shoddy and those in the background are feckin' shoddy as well. You should be ashamed :wink: :lol:
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Are they the Rossendales, Colin or the Edingdales? Hard to tell, perspective is playing tricks.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Andrew wrote:Are they the Rossendales, Colin or the Edingdales? Hard to tell, perspective is playing tricks.
They be the Rossendales, young Sir.
Chris :happy3:
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Thought so. Have you heard the Rossendales Greg? In my humble even nicer than the Edingdales.

Andrew
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Beautiful job!

And these are superb drivers... I have a pair in 16 litre infinite baffle boxes and on voices and acoustic instruments they are absolutely wonderful!

I'm toying with an open baffle design using two 5" bass helpers for them.

James.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

I'm very much wanting to hear the Rossendales in my own living room. I need to have a chat with Colin about that.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

And these are superb drivers... I have a pair in 16 litre infinite baffle boxes and on voices and acoustic instruments they are absolutely wonderful!

Have to agree with you James about these drivers. With a small SET like my 300b monoblocs they are quite involving a listen. When Andrew came down for the last Owston he had a good listen to my A12P (vented) standmounts and remarked he could hear subtleties in some very familar tracks that he had never heard before through his Sachiko's with Fostex 208 sigmas and T90A supertweetrs. But for female voice and acoustic tracks I have yet to hear better from a FR driver.
Well now James. To build in the near future I have a active Peerless 8" bass helper with the A12P in a 2-box design that Scott did for me. Please post up details of your OB design when you get around to it, hey :wink:
I'm very much wanting to hear the Rossendales in my own living room. I need to have a chat with Colin about that.
Greg,
I was only discussing this design with Scott the other day.
Good as it is in present guise Scott feels the change of the ribbon will improve things further and redress a small dropout in upper midrange with the present XO and ribbon. The intended ribbon has a lower XO point and extended usable range over the present one used, though will require a change to the present XO circuit and new cut-out rebate for the ribbon. I hope to do these changes soon. Once sorted it is intended to offer these speakers as a full kit for home assembly. But when these will be available I can't say as yet. However, give me a call and we can talk options.
Last edited by Toppsy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

That is what I believe is known as 'a bloody good finish.'

As for the Rossendales, they're excellent performers as-is, quite frankly, although since I had a hand in them, I probably shouldn't say that. OTOH, I lived with them for the best part of 2 months and really didn't want to give them back.
Last edited by Scottmoose on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh for heavens sake... Whats the expression...box of kleenex ...gerra room ...shoddy is shoddy ...all veneer wheres the substance !:-@
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Oh for heavens sake... Whats the expression...box of kleenex ...gerra room ...shoddy is shoddy ...all veneer wheres the substance !:-@

I don't understand the meaning of this post at all MrI :?: What are you trying to say :?: Like Greg on occation have I misunderstood your humourous prose or you been sniffing that glue again :lol: :wink:

No Matters.

AndrewL
Lynn and I had a very enjoyable couple of hours listen to these late last night playing Loreena McKennitt An Acient Muse and Clannad Lore via the 300b's. Nice n easy music on the drivers. Even with only around 10-hours on the drivers these MLTL's do justice to the A12P's. They have the same fast attack and cohesive detailed presentation of the small bookshelves but much deeper lower end and richer midrange could easily be heard at the lowish levels we were playing music through them. At the moment they are hooked up to a SS amp with FM tuner set on low volume and shall be left that way all day and all tomorrow. Things can only improve. So much to Scott's prowess these are a winner and the best FR single driver speakers I have made to date. Even better than the FH3 which are hard to beat but then they are competing with a much more refined and larger driver than the FH3 can handle so perhaps not a fair comparison. The deatil these drivers portray is quite breath taking at times. I like them a lot.

Greg

If you fancy joining me, Andrew, Nick, Young Chris and Brian (and anyone else who can make this informal gathering) this coming Saturday you are most welcome. I can put you up for a stayover if this helps. It would give you the opportunity to compare the Rossendales to the Edingdales. Send me PM, email or phone if you can make it.