HELP

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

How to Check for High Speed USB (USB 2.0) Support

Just tried it, turns out I have! :shock:

If it's not using USB2 protocol, I'm wondering if the hi-res stuff is being resampled down, which makes it sound bad Image

A wild guess . . .

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

Post by ed »

http://www.head-fi.org/t/539197/how-to- ... usb-to-dac

post number 4....

I believe usb2 is not usb level 2 audio

there is still a lot of misunderstanding here

windows generic usb drivers did not go above 96k but I believe some standard linux ones do. My understanding(may be out of date) was that until usb level 2 audio was adopted by microsoft this would be a general limitation. While it exists(the limitation) the rates above 96k would have to be addressed by individual usb providers, using specific drivers.

which is why I put up the previous post
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:How to Check for High Speed USB (USB 2.0) Support

Just tried it, turns out I have! :shock:
Me too, even on my old P4 relic. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

OK right some progress still using foobar
First up the Dac only has USB support up to 24/96 KHz

Now as I suggested earlier I tried the computers optical out to dac optical in a little bit of fiddling with setting and this works very well indeed have some problem with crackle noises on the linn 24/96 master files I still don't like the linn files they just don't sound right

Changing back to the USB 2 it all fellover again checking setting I changed the drivers to see the image and all is good :)
It seens the WASAPI Driver kill it dead
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture USB.JPG
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I believe usb2 is not usb level 2 audio
Yes, thats the point I was trying to make.
It seens the WASAPI Driver kill it dead
Again, it may be the driver or it may be the device. If it sends data or control outside the standard then its very possible to crash a machine. Doesn't mean it the driver at fault, may be, may be not.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Looking at the DAC specification - it says that no drivers are required.
That being the case the best it can support is 16/48, as the Windows drivers will only permit this.
To support greater bit depth/sample rates requires the use of a proprietary device driver for use in a Windows environment.

The WASAPI driver in the media player will attempt to play 24/96 files natively, and the Windows device driver is demanding that 24/96 files be downsampled - that is a possible reason why your system locked up.
Chris :happy3:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

^ Ah this rings a bell:

"The Microsoft Windows usb driver only supports up to 96k. If you want higher, you need a custom driver. These are usually supplied by the soundcard or dac maker if their product will play higher than 96k. It's possible your dac (like mine) only supports 192k from the coax/toslink (s/pdif) input and is limited to the native <=96k speed thru usb."

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

The Stratmangler wrote:The WASAPI driver in the media player will attempt to play 24/96 files natively, and the Windows device driver is demanding that 24/96 files be downsampled - that is a possible reason why your system locked up.
Ta-da! :D

As a simple test of a DAC, this got very complicated

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

How Well the blues screen of death my gave been due to some other problems with the computer as I spent the last 24 hours formatting the C drive and doing a clean install
Anyway back to the USB dac driver problem
AS I was saying I am not using the windows 7 USB drivers
The Driver I use is from a China website link here to Read this you may have to login and use Google translator
http://www.hifiss.com/ShowDownload.asp?id=14

Driver software name
Teralink -X2 USB audio 2012
ASIO driver USB Audio CPL
X2 usb Audio TE7022 driver ASIO support win7

As far as I understand it this driver is written for foobar
Using this driver in foobar is working with no problems it was only the WASAPI THAT Seemed to give problems but really need to try it again to confirm this

The windows audio device allows me to select 24/96 on this USB driver setup
I can also use the optical out from the computer optical out to optical in on the dac and the windows audio set up allows me to use 24/96 with no problems here as well to date
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage