Fear of Music

Share the music that moves you.......
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Fear of Music

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Its one of those days...when things don't look quite right; the sun is the wrong shade of steely yellow nastiness, people are driving on both sides of the roads in different diections fer chris'sakes .... ah run out of time, first customer has arrived but all I wanted to say was 'Fear of Music'. I think it is an incredible album and as I have not even a portable picnic player to listen to music on at home, I have been using the car stereo.

Fantastic! - the album, not the car stereo - that's rubbish.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

What you need Andrew is a pair of decent monitor speakers for your PC.

You can have a look at the ones I made (little known fact :wink: ) when you are next here. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

1979, a long time ago now; nearly the 1980s. Its a strange album where Talking Heads are undoubtedly working well with their complicated almost percussive numbers, David Byrne is ... well I suppose it is singing but could easily be whining and shouting in tune and the lyrics are bizarre and very unexpected - all his own work. I believe one reviewer described it as 'music for aspergers', amongst other things.

Last night I de-flac'd a copy and waved it till it became a CD so I could listen to it in the car and now I can't get it out of my mind - very infectious!
And for some reason I started to think of Laurie Anderson. I can see similarities...just not many.

Your computer speakers are now legendary, Philip. I know them.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Awww, yeah, but Speaking in Tongues is the one that still floats my bits most.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Is 'Speaking in Tongues' an album, or a track ? - remind me .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote:Is 'Speaking in Tongues' an album, or a track ? - remind me .
Album -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaking_i ... s_album%29

DTB
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Oh yes, that's the one with 'This must be the place' which is really nice. I knew there was one T.H. album I needed, that's it .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote:Oh yes, that's the one with 'This must be the place' which is really nice. I knew there was one T.H. album I needed, that's it .
.... yeah, its got a Naive Melody... arf! S'brilliant.

"Home...... is where I want to be..but I'm guess I'm already there".

DTB
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

No no no, Fear of Music is best.

That's the point... or is it? I don't know Speaking in Tongues a fraction as well and it is good to be reminded. I'll give it a serious lsitening to. I can only gain from this.

So why does album 'x' appeal and album 'y' not?

associations?
some, er, objective claim to brilliance?
because Belinda van Dyke says so (don't ask!) ?

Fear of Music I first heard in Israel on a cassette that was sent outtto me from a chum who cared about my continuing musical development. I played it and played it and played it so I am going to have some amazing associations innit. Its the same with 'War of the Worlds' out there in God's own land.
There is fascinating brilliance on the album - the way TH developed their style of playing with David Byrne's very strange lyrical style. it isn't always an easy listen but it is more than worth having a serious listen. Looking back now, there are so many riffs, guitar styles, deeveloping funky bass style - the way the bass guitar and drums work together, bits of synth, bits of acoustic instruments that has to be much more than accidental oh let's just chuck this in, sort of thing, and easily recognisable composing almost tricks all in the amazing mix but .. total respect for the way they did it back then. I don't mind having it rammed in my face (again) just how crap I was.

Anyway, still highly recommended!
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Note to self: investigate this album.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mudshark
Old Hand

#11 Re: Fear of Music

Post by Mudshark »

Whilst Fear is very fine, this is the one ya want. :mrgreen:
Talking Heads - Remain in Light (1980).jpg