Glad to be a part of the forum.

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.

How would you describe Peter gabriels production of Mercy street

Poll ended at Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 pm

totaly Incredible
No votes
Mostly Brilliant and partly excellent
No votes
Brilliant excellent and incredible mostly
No votes
Partly Amazing , incredibly brilliant and fantastic
No votes
Fantasticly amazingly brilliant
100%

Total votes: 1

BasilSimon
User

#1 Glad to be a part of the forum.

Post by BasilSimon »

Hi guys.
My name is Basil Simon and I am a music producer based in North Yorkshire. I am very interested in producing the highest quality sound that I can for the total enjoyment of people like you... the real listeners with the real gear to listen with. Iv been out in the cold for a while in terms of actually being connected with any friends who actually understand that high quality audio doesn't get delivered with an mp3 on a mobile phone. This is one of the reasons I have joined here. I hope to meet people who truly love music and high quality audio and who may even want to help me improve and perfect my new releases. Say Hi if this sounds interesting to you and Id love to know what kind of gear you have.
Warmest regards
Baz.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Hello Basil.

You're not Peter Gabriel by any chance are you? :-)

Nice Poll BTW!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

my daughter and her friend have just recorded their 1st track in the school recording studio in Beverley, after being asked to by radio humberside when they did a couple of live sets a few weeks ago.

the recording on my system sounded much closer to the live sound than it did through the school set up, as she has played the same tracks live in the lounge, so we have a good live vs recorded comparison

i will look forwards to your input...
and if you can.. bring some tracks to our doncaster meet up week after next...
my gear is 1930 's valves into a mix of modern and vintage pa drivers.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Bazzzman ?

just catching up with your tunes...

seems you've got a U87, I'm insanely jealous

welcome to audio-talk
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
BasilSimon
User

Post by BasilSimon »

Dave the bass wrote:Hello Basil.

You're not Peter Gabriel by any chance are you? :-)

Nice Poll BTW!

DTB
Lol!!! No I am certainly not. But Ims sure you are detecting some respect for him! I do love his production skills. Are you a devout listener of great production? what flaps your genuine? prey do tell.
BasilSimon
User

Post by BasilSimon »

[quote="steve s"]my daughter and her friend have just recorded their 1st track in the school recording studio in Beverley, after being asked to by radio humberside when they did a couple of live sets a few weeks ago.

the recording on my system sounded much closer to the live sound than it did through the school set up, as she has played the same tracks live in the lounge, so we have a good live vs recorded comparison

i will look forwards to your input...
and if you can.. bring some tracks to our Doncaster meet up week after next...
my gear is 1930 's valves into a mix of modern and vintage pa drivers.[/quote

It Sounds like you have a great set up indeed. I am personaly very interested in production techniques that allow the perfect blending of frequency in order to create an overall splendid wash of true artistic audio finess! Of course the reproduction of acoustic sessions in my experience can greatly benefit a mix if the live dynamic is captured well. Unfortunately Doncaster is a little far for me. ]Do you have a copy of that live session to post by any chance?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

My flaps are genuine'd by many things but I like what Joe Boyd and John Wood did to Nick Drake's songs if that helps. They worked magic on some John Martyn stuff too.

DTB
BasilSimon
User

Post by BasilSimon »

ed wrote:Bazzzman ?

just catching up with your tunes...

seems you've got a U87, I'm insanely jealous

welcome to audio-talk
Thanks dood! Yes Im planning to get a second one so I can record my voice in stereo with them! They are truely great mics. And the value of them seems to remain solid too. I paid 700 for this one over 15 yrs ago and now they go over double that second hand! Crazy! I now also have a Moog Voyager , I believe that will hold its value too. Not sure about my Dave smith prophet 08 though , but it is the pot version however! I will post something newer on here for you to listen too soon! You have no doubt found some of my ollder tunes.... never the best in my book! Thanks for the welcome! Its great to be here.
BasilSimon
User

Post by BasilSimon »

Dave the bass wrote:My flaps are genuine'd by many things but I like what Joe Boyd and John Wood did to Nick Drake's songs if that helps. They worked magic on some John Martyn stuff too.

DTB
Ah yes! Nick Drake is a master of acoustic guitar performance. What tracks did Joe Boyd and John work on?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

BasilSimon wrote:What tracks did Joe Boyd and John work on?
Joe and John worked on 'Five Leaves Left' and 'Bryter Layter' together and John Wood alone is credited with producing his last official album 'Pink Moon'.

DTB
ed
retired

Post by ed »

BasilSimon wrote: I will post something newer on here for you to listen too soon! You have no doubt found some of my ollder tunes.... never the best in my book! Thanks for the welcome! Its great to be here.
The stuff I've been listening to says 5 months old......do you have more recent stuff?

I particularly liked 'shine' and 'eat your shoes' ....it's certainly a mixed bag...

two U87s, that's just plain greedy :)
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've got a problem. I can't get past voting on an album that I've never heard of let alone heard.

I admire Peter Gabriel personally and as a musician by the way - bet that makes him sleep more comfortably at night.

U87s... I only have a pair of Shure unidynes - the sort of things I'd have killed for back in the late 70s.

If you could post some thig on here and allow me to download your modern 'best music stuff' then I'd be able to give them an airing. Otherwise I'm a bit confused.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I've got a problem. I can't get past voting on an album that I've never heard of let alone heard.
:shock: Geddaway widja! You've never heard 'So' by Peter Gabriel? Mercy Street is a track off it.

DTB
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I've got a problem. I can't get past voting on an album that I've never heard of let alone heard.
Don't give up!

(SWIDT?)

Kate, ohh Kate, you make me go all shivery....
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

shane wrote:Kate, ohh Kate, you make me go all shivery....
IDSWYDT, however it was all so much better compared to what she does now IMHO. I know others don't agree.