BBC Media Player

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 BBC Media Player

Post by Paul Barker »

They changed my app for android from iPlayer to Media Player and now I get a few seconds of music then it hangs and never returns. Boo hoo.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

At times I do wonder if people actually bother testing software before release.

iOS6 maps would be another example.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Allowing software (and apps, if they are different?) to update is inviting it to fail until another upgrade to fix the update comes out.

Like when ics first came down the line for the Sii, then it was updated again and the faults were fixed. But nothing was admited.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

I've just "upgraded' to media player for android as well didn't have a choice Iplayer didn't work any more, video now looks blocky and keeps buffering :(
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Bizzie wrote:I've just "upgraded' to media player for android as well didn't have a choice Iplayer didn't work any more, video now looks blocky and keeps buffering :(
My device doesn't wait for the buffering to complete it goes to sleep and never wakes up. So I get a few seconds of the music and that's my lot. Like you I had no choice I was told "you have to now get this!"
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Well they still haven't fixed the app. It is hopeless.

I am wandering whether they have forsaken broadband users and 3g users by bringing out an app which will only work properly under the new high speed mobile internet which I believe when up and running with more networks than just EE will be much faster than broadband as we know it.

It's the only reason I can imagine they have cut down dead all their existing users.

My phone an SII isn't exactly old technology or a minority phone, but it is rendered completely disabled by this app.

My broadband is perfectly fast as a new lodger arriving last night said "your broadband is dead good".

APP no good.

I find it anoying because Channel 703 is of a far inferior audio quality to youtube. Previosuly BBCiPlayer used to be the best of both worlds, yuou could listen to BBC Radio 3 at hifi quality, now you hear nothing while it hangs up your phone.

So I am sat here listening to youtube playlists of all things and enjoying the ambience far more than the television radio channels.

SPotufy is half good but that won't work on the phone unless you subscribe and quite honestly it isn't of sufficient quality worth paying for. iPlayer used to beat it hands down when it worked.

I suppose we are in a state of flux until middle of next year when new mobile internet will be workaday.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

Just tried iplayer again with the radio channels seems to work OK to me on 3g or wifi thats on an s3, so maybe the faster processor helps.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app Paul I've had to do that with other apps that didn't work after my phone upgraded to jellybean.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes I did uninstall it today then took battery out of phone then reinstalled it.

Just as useless.

Go over to youtube : no problems.

You are on Jellybean I am on ics. Chalk and cheese.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

Yeah went to jellybean last week but had the new iplayer on before that and it did work just the same but had to re-install after the upgrade to JB to get it working again
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I did find that a number of other people experience the same issues I experience, so I believe it is a problem I have no control over until they redesign the app.

The experience is the music begins runs for a matter of seconds then the buffering symbol rotates in the centre and hangs the phone. At this time the app becomes unresponsive and the phone will crash and tell you the app has failed to respond do you wish to report it.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Go figure, the update for BBCiPlayer works perfectly. Took them a long time but now the APP is great.