Raspberry Pi Squeezeslave and LMS

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Things have moved on with picoreplayer where now the headphone output works without noise so a USB sound card isn't needed.

So last night I compared the two USB sound cards above with the headphone output. I was using JVC flats which go for about £10 but sound OK.

This one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... UTF8&psc=1 doesn't sound that good. It has noise that rides along with the signal. Before when using it in the dining room for background music, I didn't notice but with headphones ....

This one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... UTF8&psc=1 sounded better than the above however now I'm not so sure the headphone output isn't just as good or maybe even better. This just wasn't the case 6 months ago. There was a difference but I couldn't quite pin down what it was as the comparison took time to switch over. I'll try again with 2 Pis running at the same time but I'll need more power supplies to do that.

I still can't get wireless to go noise free no matter what I do and I'm sick of trying. Maybe it's picoreplayer or maybe it's me. Others seem to be able to or maybe they use a hub. I'm determined not to but time will tell whether I give in to the hub.

I also tried Volumio for comparisons and although I got it to work, turning it on and off for comparison purposes screwed things up a bit and that was the end of that for the day. Another day, I'll see what happens.

cheers,

Stephen
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Things have moved on quite a bit with picoreplayer.

The latest v1.13 now has a web interface to configure it. It can now run the HiFi Berry I2S DAC. I haven't got it but probably will.

Also wireless works properly for the first time. No need for a hub. There now is no noise from running wireless using the headphone out. This is a perfect solution for the Man Cave.

All in all, it now does exactly what I want and I suspect would handily compare to the squeezebox product. Will compare to the Touch I have here when I get time.

At some point I will stick a Pi in an old ghetto blaster so I can have a portable system round the house, out in the garden etc.

cheers,

Stephen