Raspberry Pi Squeezeslave and LMS

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

I think from memory, the Pi doesn't benefit from cards higher than class 6. I think one of my cards is class 4. Not sure if that has made any difference but it is possible it has. Make sure it is a decent SD card manufacturer like SanDisk or similar. Super cheap from Amazon.

cheers,

Stephen
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Thanks for the advice Stephen.

The Pi has just turned up - it's certainly dinky! Had to box it up again though as it's supposed to be a Chrimbo present (for me!).
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Dunno if you know our-Simon but Maplins does a case for it to protect it from being trodden on (or swallowed!). We got one for Bat-face in addition to the Maplin Pi starter kit.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/pibow-colour-ra ... ase-652812

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Yeah went for the option with case for another £4. It's plain, cheap and functional, rather like myself in fact.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I bought one of these for mine. Worked a treat...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0510265507
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

BatFace and her fella received their Pi today.

I think its trying to tell them something!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
meanmeech
New User

Post by meanmeech »

Hi all, just a quicky... Just installed SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi version 6 from squeezeplugdotde. Has anyone else installed this version?

Installed Squeezeslave, everything looked to be going fine. LMS on the PC was able to see the slave. Squeezeslave services looks to be up and running, but, no sound.

When I was going through the squeezeslave installation, I thought I didn't choose USB at the audio output section. Though I didn't pay enough attention to what I did choose.

How do I choose the HDMI port to be used as the output? And as i'm at it,if I wanted to change to the anolog audio out port?
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

Time for an update.

This whole thing has been very frustrating. The Pi running as a Squeezelite player on a wired network using the headphone output is easy to get going whether it be the Sqeezeplug version or the PiCorePlayer version of Squeezelite. Listen to it all the time. In sync with a Touch player too.

However that is very basic and not where I want to end up.

Both Squeezeplug and PiCorePlayer have config for wireless which I can't get to work and USB DACs which I can't get to work. All run from menus, all very configurable as advertised but after hours of messing about, reading forums, asking questions (no suitable answers) none of it can I get to work.

So last night, I tried the RaspyFi MDP package. Nope. That one I couldn't get to play even tho the web interface came up, radio stations and tunes on USB stick could be seen, no progress on play so no sound out of analog jack or USB.

I have two RPis now; a first gen one and the latest one. I've even seen web pages with the exact same parts as mine with full descriptions of how to get it to work but mine doesn't.

Now if I was some complete numpty ... OK, this might be proof I am .... I mean, I grew up with commmand line DOS, have been a computer programmer in a past life, reckon I know a technical thing or two and yet, have completely failed on this so far ... keep saying it ... so far.

Anyhoo, that's a rant and thanks for reading. Step away from the Pi. Breathe.

cheers,

Stephen
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I feel your pain! You are amongst friends :-)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Maybe time for a change of platform? Picked info up about the Beaglebone Black on AoS and found this on 'tinternet...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs ... elite-452/
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

There are now a whole bunch of platforms for this kind of thing. And with the Pi, a raft of folk working on solutions to the "issues". It will do what I want one day. Well it does already for the dining room but for Higher Fi, I need to get the DAC going. And for the kids, I want to use USB speakers. I mean DAC and speakers for £10 is amazing if I can get it going. And there's no reason why it won't in the end.

And yes Simon, it is amazing how not alone I am in this, with "out of the box" solutions for a media streamer. Hats off to the peeps providing these options. Their frustration at getting things to work must be order of magnitude greater.

I wish I could go to the man cave and turn my efforts to more fruitfull outcomes but in there is the 813 E-Linear amp waiting it's ... ooohhh ... must be 5th rebuild to get it to go properly and show its undoubted potential but that bloody thing is being a PITA too.

Anyhoo, slipping into another rant ...

cheers,

Stephen
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Neal

spooky or what!....I just picked up the post from the mat, about the time you posted....

the only item the postman left was the new product sales glossy from RS and it's all about the beaglebone black...£29

your link seems pretty comprehensive

looks interesting, maybe glad I haven't committed to a SB replacement yet.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yep, we got one today as well but I didn't pay much attention to it until I read your post :D Interesting!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

I couldn't leave this thing alone.

I have RaspyFi, Squeezeplug Squeezelite and PiCorePlayer Squeezelite players all working. The Squeezelite players work out of the box. The RaspyFi player requires a bit of file swapping to work. I only have output via the headphone socket.

However the DAC still doesn't work BUT I think I know why as I've finally found some others with the same problem and no solution.

There is a popular HiFiMeDIY DAC that many have recommended http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=pr ... duct_id=83 but there seems to be a gotcha with it. There are two options for USB receiver SA9023 and TE7022. Now to someone like me that means nuthin but in reality, it would seem the SA9023 has issues.

On we go :)

cheers,

Stephen
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

I seem to have things going now. My problem with the USB DAC would seem to be an issue (unresolved) with the receiver in the DAC I chose. See previous post.

I had another USB DAC lying around that I had bought first of very little pedigree http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... UTF8&psc=1 and it worked as advertised. I think it's a bit better than the headphone socket out but will have to compare on the big system where the Touch is to find out. Downside is it's fat and blocks the other USB port.

What I ended up with was PiCorePlayer. Squeezeplug has a lot of features and apps I just don't need. PiCorePlayer is Squeezelite on a small read only Linux and that's it.

Squeezeplug is frozen and the developer, rumours say, has gone over to the ickStream project http://blog.ickstream.com/index.php?

I would now be very interested in trying a better DAC in order to try and better the Touch. Maybe one of the better HiFiMeDIY jobbies? Anyone got any other suggestions?

cheers,

Stephen[/url]