Raspberry Pi Squeezeslave and LMS

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#1 Raspberry Pi Squeezeslave and LMS

Post by izzy wizzy »

Thought I'd post an update on where I am at with this. Well, it's not so much where I'm at but where the project is at that is Squeezeplug.

I'm a tester for the latest V5 beta release and so far so good for what I'm doing with it which is using the squeezeslave part. A number of the bad issues seem to have been solved so now it goes continuously without stopping like it used to.

The sound from the headphone jack is now clean, well clean enough. For higher quality, a USB DAC could well be the ticket but that's down the line for me. I just want music in other rooms to begin with for casual listening.

The wireless aspect while working reuires a fudge that I'm not happy with. That could well be down to the USB dongle I'm using and it being greedy on power or something else. Anyhoo, I was speaking with the developer last night and that is the next thing he'll be looking at ... hopefully.

The other thing I want to play with on the Pi is using it as the LMS as well. So far I can't find my music on the network but that I reckon is not a biggy to fix. More like me doing something stoopid :?

This is the first time I've been exposed to the open source community. It's a very refreshing place to be and reminds me of some of the better DIY places like this forum.

cheers,

Stephen
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Very interesting Stephen, please keep us posted on your experiences. There's a number of us here this way inclined, if not quite at the "cutting edge" you're at now.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

LMS ?

That's more applicable to the railway forum. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Logitech Media Server.

<pushes glasses up to bridge of nose and blinks awkwardly>

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote:Logitech Media Server.

<pushes glasses up to bridge of nose and blinks awkwardly>

DTB
Aha, thanks Professor bass plucker. :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

S'alright. You've got LMS installed on the computer that you use to stream music to your Touch.

DTB
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

I had that Logitech Media Server gizmo installed on mah PC but when it came to the question "Do you want to install LMS" on the squeezeplug, I thought, what do I want that for so ignored it for ages. Should have explained better in my post wot LMS is but DTB done the business :)

Anyhoo, I got the LMS bit working last night ans seeing my PC drive with the music on it. Not sure it's powerful enough to be a player and server at the same time running wireless. I had LMS going on the network today using a Softsqueeze player on my PC. I really need another Pi and some kind of network drive to get my PC out of the equation as I'm running out of room.

I'm just amazed something as small and cheap as the Pi can do what it does.

cheers,

Stephen
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

It finally goes! Squeezeplug V5 and some patches has a whole bunch of stuff but my main interest has been the squeezeplayer. Remote control is my Android phone.

The wireless issue was solved by using a different WiFi dongle than the one I had. They have to be low power. The one I had worked but caused the sound to break up but this later one seems to be fine. There is some tiny background noise when the volume is turned down to nothing and no tunes playing. Not a problem for now this first try and application.

I have no idea yet as to its absolute sound quality but for the first application; sounds in the dining room for casual listening via the headphone socket connected to a receiver, it's good enough.

On a wired network I had it running faultlessly for days so it should do the same on the WiFi hopefully.

I'll try it on the big system when I have time. I'm hoping I can retire the CD player. Some kind of cheap DAC might be the go for that application in the future.

cheers,

Stephen
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nice work Izzy! Our daughter has bought a full starter kit from Maplins and wants to get to grips with Python and explore P for its animation capabilities (she says!). She's a freelance Digital Animator by trade but it was funny seeing her playing with a cct board..... :)

DTB
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

Python is a really nice scripting language, I've used it quite a bit at work.

My RaspPi is idle at the moment, I'm too busy working on my 3D RepRap printer. 8)
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Dave the bass wrote:Nice work Izzy! Our daughter has bought a full starter kit from Maplins and wants to get to grips with Python and explore P for its animation capabilities (she says!). She's a freelance Digital Animator by trade but it was funny seeing her playing with a cct board..... :)

DTB
Right, so you have a daughter-board... now you just need a mother-board... :lol: :lol:
©2020 Lee
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Lee S wrote:
Right, so you have a daughter-board... now you just need a mother-board... :lol: :lol:

Arf Arf! :lol:

DTB
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

How's the Squeezeslave going Stephen? Did you ever get it running as a server?

I've got a Pi coming to play with over Christmas and fancy trying to get it working as a player, and possibly investigate using it as a dedicated server. They're so cheap in basic form it's not the end of the world if I can't get it to do what I want!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy »

It did run as a server. I ran it as both for a bit.

There is one limitation I haven't fully solved but then I haven't tried that hard yet. Wireless doesn't work that well. The USB wireless connection causes noise on the headphone output. With a network cable, it is fine.

I have yet to try the Pi powered seperately and use a USB hub for the wireless connection. I only need to create a Y cable; one to go to the Pi, the other to the hub. I could then determine if wireless is feasible or not. I don't hear others having the same issue in this setup so it may be the solution.

If you do go wireless, be careful of the dongle you select. Same with USB hub.

cheers,

Stephen
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Interesting Stephen, thanks. I intend to run mine wired which sounds like it has it's advantages. Did you find any difference in SD cards? The faster the better?