SB Touch Startup

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 SB Touch Startup

Post by andrew Ivimey »

When Steve's Touch arrived at work there were no networks just me, a USB stick with Flac files and a version of sqeezebox server on it and a pair of headphones. In about 2 minutes I was listening to beautiful music.

At home there is no way I can get a(ny) Touch to work like this. I have to have the PC with the software and the vortexbox running to get a Touch to work. I suspect the Vortexbox and the belkin router might be enough.

There is much I don't understand ... help please!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#2 Re: SB Touch Startup

Post by The Stratmangler »

andrew Ivimey wrote: I have to have the PC with the software
Why?
Vortexbox should be running server over the network, which means that any Squeezebox player should be capable of connecting to it.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I want to run a Touch just with a USB stick and have nothing to do with the PC, the router or the Vortexbox.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I want to run a Touch just with a USB stick and have nothing to do with the PC, the router or the Vortexbox.
Fine, just do it.
I'd get pissed off very quickly having to switch USB sticks in order to get a different selection of music.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

ummmmmmm, I said that this is just what I can't do.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

I only used a USB stick once and that was at Owston.
If i remember rightly, the procedure was to plug in the SBT, allow it to start.
it then complains that it can't find a network.
Then insert the USB stick. It finds the usb stick and asks if you want to start the squeezebox server. Tell it yes, it then starts the internal server, scans your USB stick and puts up the contents on screen.

Choose track, hit play and away you go.

To change to another stick you have to eject first the stick you were using then plug another one in, which won't play unless you initiate a scan, because you effectively change the contents of your library every time you plug in a different stick, and so it goes. (I think)

Steve.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yep, that was my experience too. I did the same the first time I took the Touch to Owston.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yep, that was my experience too. I did the same the first time I took the Touch to Owston.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yep that's what I was doing (3 times!) Maybe they are just being pernickety now they are art home and haven't been used for weeks and weeks. I'll oil them up with the vortexbox and then see if they are old enough to walk on their own.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Bloody iPad! :D
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Try switching your router off before you switch on the Touch.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yep, it was!
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Cor! all I have to do is turn my back for a couple of weeks even and the Touch needs a jolly good talking to. I ended up doing a factory reset (not that it did any good, it seems) to get it ready to accept that I wanted it to work. I mean, accepting my router's password isn't too big a request is it? And I thought it was happy accepting a 600meg usb hard drive. It just wouldn't accept my router.

And then, after mutual sulks, it decides that all is tickety boo, the same and never changed password is acceptable and routed music starts to flow.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

I blame the red wine... :idea: