Miniscule moments of extreme musical brilliance!

Share the music that moves you.......
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Forgot about this minuscule moment of brilliance...

@ 2.13, those two notes that sound like a sonar beacon. Blummen genius. Through the murk and distorted brain crushing riffing comes the crystal clear beacon firing out the hull of the good ship Hawkwind to sense the area around them where they were Born To Go...

2013 reissue of Space Ritual is out in the shop's now pop pickers! It's only been rereleased 57 previous times I'm sure.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I've just had one of those moments when you witness an extreme moment of musical brilliance... LIVE.

Today was the last day of the Dartford Festival, the local Council have done brill over the years with Chas n Dave and The Temperance Seven amongst others closing the Sunday night.

This year it was 'The Beat'. They had an hour to fill, if you're a fan as we are you can probably guess 70% of the set list. But... what totally floored 2 members of the totally drenched but happily smashed audience was the Rankin' Roger cued journey to 'Dub Central' in the middle of 'Mirror in the Bathroom'. The band went off into a dub-a-thon replete with phased guitars skanking off into decayed oblivion closely followed by the Sax being treated to massive delay treatment, brill, bass and drums left to under pin and drop natch. But..... there's always a but..... What totally threw a sideways aural king size adjustable spanner across the whole "dub-mension" experience was the way the band slipped into the MASTER BUILDER riff from You by Gong! I shit you not!

Bludddeeenorrrrrrra! :shock:

I'm convinced no-one 'got-it' but I don't care, I did and so did JTS who was looking at her pint of Ale to check if it hadn't been spiked cos she heard it too :)

*Deep Breath* ..and relax.

DTB
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

:-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

That sounds great .. but I don't really understand why !
If I can get my system working with the 15" OB speakers, then I'll be asking you to design a short course in getting the background (musical) education to fully appreciate your enthusiasm :happy7:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote:That sounds great .. but I don't really understand why !
OK, i'll try explain what impact it had and why.

So, mental picture you need to generate OK...imagine you're in a place say, having a dinner with a good chum. Its a fave dish, cooked brilliantly, you've got a beverage that suits that course, it too is excellent. In the background there's a piece of music that pulls you to a different situation and a set of emotions that are equally enjoyable and fulfilling as what you're experiencing gastronomically at the exact same moment. Its a double barrelled "pleasure hit". You're lifted and transported mentally to a different state involuntarily, it just happens. You have no control and it wouldn't be the same if you knew it was going to happen (IMO).

Thats what happened, the unexpected. Not a scary experience but a situation-b(l)ending sonic one. They're rare, they need reporting, hence this thread.

HTH.

DTB
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

No Dave - I understand the emotions and how this might happen ! - it was the specifics of the Master Builder Gong riff and the Rankin Roger / dub/mirror in the bathroom journey that I need to do some musical research on !
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Aaaahhh! Sorry Mark, I misunderstood, apologies. I recommend, ermmm, *rubs hairy chin* <light bulbs> listening to lots of music.

Dunno if this helps :)

DTB
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Just gave me a chance to listen to it again. You probably already know it Mark.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Dave gave me some homework to do , today , via email ; however this makes things a lot clearer. One of the problems is I've never ( inexplicably ) owned a copy of 'You' . It's clear that this riff re-appears on 'Green' of course, which I well know . So there we are, one piece of the (excellent) puzzle . Now for the DUB bit ....
slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

ok, I haven't noticed this thread before, so I'll probably get everything wrong. I also apologize for not reading the entire thread.

How - long - can this moment of brilliance be?
Are we talking seconds, or minutes?

edit:

And, seeing that the Gong : "You" album is shown several times,
and having enjoyed Gong both live and on LPs , does the whole album ( or concert ) qualify, or do one have to chose mere seconds of bliss?

edit2:

I'm thinking; Jeff Beck. With Tal and Vinnie. Live. Chicago 2007.
- Jan -
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ooooo, its a tough call, very strict rules apply Jan :)

Full 'thread rules' are detailed on page 1 1st post. Failure to comply usually results in a £3.7 Million (GBP) fine....

BUT....

You're exempt because you mentioned Gong and 'You' already!!! Arf! Biased? Me? Yep!

Have a look at the 1st couple pages to get the idea then get a-listing.

DTB
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

... further to my Kajagoogoo posting on page 2 I was interested to discover the bass player Nick Beggs went on to play with a whole raft of 'artistes' and is now in respected prog band 'Lifesigns' (check out 'Carousel'). Who'd have thought it, eh?! :)

Ah yes, now back to Gong...
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

thomas wrote:... further to my Kajagoogoo posting on page 2 I was interested to discover the bass player Nick Beggs went on to play with a whole raft of 'artistes' and is now in respected prog band 'Lifesigns' (check out 'Carousel'). Who'd have thought it, eh?! :)

Ah yes, now back to Gong...
Nick Beggs features big on one of my favourite albums of 2013

Chris :happy3:
slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

I think I'll start with this one:

Dvorak 9th / Solti

The whole symphony is beautiful, but when I listen to to the second movement, from about 11:00 onward, the world just stops.

At about 12:00 the world starts moving again. Goosebumps.
- Jan -
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I reckon there's a whole generation of folk that watched commercial Telly during the 70's that associate that 2nd movement with a wholemeal bread manufacturer Jan :)

DTB