Celestion 8" Field Coil

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Occasionally I search eBay for a partner to my one Celestion 8" Field Coil Loudspeaker.

Closest so far is this permanent magnet speaker, which I am posting because it is interesting how they have shaped the magnet. It is almost as if they had their heads so much in Field coil technology that they tried to emulate it. Must be one of the earliest ways to make permanent magnet motors. This isn't mine I borrowed the image code.

I don't think I'll ever find a partner to my field coil Celestion; maybe make it a centre speaker for TV viewing one day if ever.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#2 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Looks like I have deleted from my photobucket the field coil pictures. Anyway Hope I can find the actual speaker.

Because Steve's thread on a mono wotsaname has got me thinking to put my mono 211 amp to good use driving an 8" OB field coil.

Who cares what the FR? Not me.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Cressy Snr »

Sounds like an interesting exercise Paul, if you can find the speaker.

A 211 mono amp driving a field coil speaker sounds very Mr Sakuma.

A couple of mono setups at Owston would be interesting.

As an aside, imagine the quality of gear you could build, not having to buy two of everything :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
shane
Social outcast

#4 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by shane »

SteveTheShadow wrote:A couple of mono setups at Owston would be interesting.
You could even put two of them side by side and see if this new-fangled stereo idea's worth bothering with! :D
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker

#5 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Funily enough there is a quality with mono which you don't get with stereo. You certainly get imaging with good mono.
shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by shane »

Paul Barker wrote:Funily enough there is a quality with mono which you don't get with stereo. You certainly get imaging with good mono.
Thought so. Twice the cost, twice as much clutter and no better. It'll never catch on.....
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker

#7 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Just bought a pair Telefunken Field coils.

The basket and motor in the Celestion is clearly Telefunken. The field coil is 800 ohm on the Celestion whereas Telefunken are 1,000 ohm. The cone is marginally different.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1940s-VINTAGE ... true&rt=nc
Paul Barker

#8 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

By the way, please nobody bid for the 4 Dainichi tweeters he is selling. I am bidding on them and he has cocked up and sent them with the field coils, not realising there is 9 days left of auction. Glad it's not just me that's disorganised.

Anyway I feel duty bound to pay whatever they end at. Not giving them back, because they are nice.

I've let him know his erra so with some luck he'll pull the auction and just send me a bill for the starting bid I put on. He got enough for his field coils after all.
Paul Barker

#9 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Just plopped one into Ed's beautifully crafted cabinet.

Nice, not as nice as my Graetz field coils on OB. But close and more wife friendly. So the other will be mounted tomos and all other speakers will be removed.

Bass is not tuned but fook it, it'll do for now. I know nothing about adjusting these port holes. I know nothing about most things. Just experiment ignorantly and hold on to what I like.
Greg
Social outcast

#10 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Greg »

Paul Barker wrote:Just plopped one into Ed's beautifully crafted cabinet.

Nice, not as nice as my Graetz field coils on OB. But close and more wife friendly. So the other will be mounted tomos and all other speakers will be removed.
Well you can't beat WAF for a quiet life. Well done!
Paul Barker

#11 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Anth has completed the balanced preamp but thisImage
will have to wait for me to collect it.(collect preamp that is)
But on a cheap solid state amp the speakers are showing much promise. String music is of greatest reward.
There is a fear that these delecate ancient drivers may break up under the power of modern amplification. Probably low powered SE is the way to go. I'll have to put a physical limiter on the volume pot.

tweeter next mission.

ideal would be plasma. maybe though paper tweeter adequate for my hearing.

not an urgent matter as field coils are quite extended and whatever they do they do it well.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by IslandPink »

Good effort !
That they work on strings is encouraging - many wide-range drivers wouldn't.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
cressy
Shed dweller

#13 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by cressy »

Here you go Paul
Paul Barker

#14 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

lovely, thank you Anth.
Paul Barker

#15 Re: Celestion 8" Field Coil

Post by Paul Barker »

Somewhat shocking performance. Just using my hearing (which is all that matters) LF pretty non existant below 100hz level by 130hz and HF goes deadly silent soon after 8khz. Pretty much a midrange driver.

Bear in mind my hearing maybe only extends to 12khz. Yet to be evaluated.

So I'll need to use a sub and get a tweeter worked out. Midrange is good though. I'm sure the Graetz field coils are wider FR and also superb midrange.

Still, if you don't buy a driver you don't find these things out. The only apeal of these drivers over the Graetz is the neat round circular profile that means they fit a neatly precut round hole. On a baffle who gives a fig for that?

Bet these would make great guitar speakers.

Might pop then on a limited size open baffle instead of box speakers in that case. I don't need much persuasion to get back to open baffle.