Microsoft to buy Logitech

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Microsoft to buy Logitech

Post by Cressy Snr »

Rumours are circulating that Microsoft a well documented hater of everything open source are planning a takeover bid for Logitech, who bought out Slim Devices maker of the SqueezeBox.

This will make MS the biggest supplier of peripherals on the planet.
Both parties are denying it and analysts are somewhat sceptical but it's a scary thought.

They have got a nice little way with the SlimServer to get a reliable OS for their Media center PCs and at no cost to themselves as the software is open source.

Microsoft SlimServer is a very frightening thought. Remember embrace extend and extinguish? It could be on its way back.

Stand by for the blue screen of death on your SB.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technolog ... geNumber=1

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If true, I think MS will be more interested in tthe hardware that Logitech sell, but we can only see.

To be fair MS, actually sell some very good hardware (mouse, keyboard, etc),
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: To be fair MS, actually sell some very good hardware (mouse, keyboard, etc),
Yes I use their trackball. It's very good.
Their ergonomic keyboards are supposed to be excellent.

I've no problem with their hardware.

If they do take over Logitech. I just hope they leave the SlimServer alone and don't screw it up for Linux and Mac users.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Agreed, when Logitech bought slimdevices I had similar fears but they knew well enough and left SD alone.....MS however......could be a different storey if the rumor is true.....