Hi.

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
southall-1998
User

#1 Hi.

Post by southall-1998 »

Hi Chaps,

I'm Shane and living in Southall, West London. Been living here since 1998, hence the user name :)

I'm friends with Matt (mmcnult1) who is also a member on this site. Great guy and really knows his hifi!!

Matt has told me about Colin's home built speakers, they sure look very interesting. I would't mind trying (Maybe buying) Colin's lovely bookshelf Speakers (The ones with the gold coloured full range drivers) Why Bookshelf speakers, because my hifi is in my bedroom and still living with the family.

I have a Croft Series 5 MK1 poweramp, previous owner had it sent to Glenn Croft last year for upgrade and new valves. The Valves are nothing great, just JJ EL84's. The Croft is around 25-30w push-pull, class AB.

I like all types of Music, sometimes I love music that has punch with some good bass. I know, Bookshelfs are not really great at producing low bass.

Thanks,

Shane.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Welcome Shane.

Feels really weird writing that...
southall-1998
User

Post by southall-1998 »

Thanks, Shane :)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi Shane, welcome.
southall-1998
User

Post by southall-1998 »

Thanks, Ali.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Greetings! Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
southall-1998
User

Post by southall-1998 »

Hi Mike,

Big fan of futurama?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Shane and welcome.
Matt has told me about Colin's home built speakers, they sure look very interesting. I would't mind trying (Maybe buying) Colin's lovely bookshelf Speakers (The ones with the gold coloured full range drivers) Why Bookshelf speakers, because my hifi is in my bedroom and still living with the family.
That would be these:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3748

Coincidentally I have had another guy make an enquiry about these speakers. I reckon they could be ideal for a bedroom setup. Ali, is your man for a report on how they sound.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Though from memory, they did rather well at Owston, but were much happier when my subwoofers took over the low end for them.
FYI, the room at Owston is ~20m by ~10m. A difficult space for most speakers, so for a little FR driver to do what it did speaks for itself IMO.

I can think of many applications for these, including (dare I say it?) surround sound, with a suitably powerful subwoofer so the potential of the whole system can be unleashed.

Welcome to the madhouse Shane #2.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

southall-1998 wrote:Hi Mike,

Big fan of futurama?
Is it that obvious :lol:

Yeah got the complete series set, but none of the films yet.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
southall-1998
User

Post by southall-1998 »

Toppsy,

Yes, those are the ones! Matt sent me nice pics of those speakers, but I stupidly deleted them :x

What are your prices on those nice small bookshelf speakers? Do you also make dedicated stands for them?

Shane.
southall-1998
User

Post by southall-1998 »

Toppsy,

Sorry for asking this rather odd question.

I have some Royd Minstrel speakers. They are compact floor standing speakers with a very odd look. They are not the most high quality of speakers, but I do like their musicality. Their treble can be a little rough at times.

Would you be able to build a (Valve & Solid State friendly) speaker based on the Royd Minstrel? That looks very similar, slightly bigger with better quality bass drivers & Tweeters with smoother treble? The Royds bass units are doped.

One problem, do you have experience of the Royds, and would this job be possible/ impossible? I know this will come at a cost

Shane. :)
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

I think you could do with listening to some of Colin's creations, then deciding what you want. You may find yourself surprised.

Interesting look to the speakers you mentioned, though:

Certainly high WAF.

The Mark Audio drivers (one or two midbasses) would probably drop in quite nicely. Could use the ribbon tweeter, but that'd be down to individual choice - the MA tweeter is pretty good, too.
southall-1998
User

Post by southall-1998 »

Chris661,

Those are the Royd Minstrel ''SE'' showing. Mines are the original Minstrel, but both look almost exactly the same.

Yes, when I have the money I'd love to try those bookshelf speakers made by Colin.

Shane.
Last edited by southall-1998 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Hmmm...

London's a fair way from us up in t'North. Maybe there's someone local to you that has a pair of Edingdales?

They use the same drivers as the ones I propose here (with which Colin is very familiar), so you'd get a decent impression of what your re-done speakers might sound like.

Chris