Hello all

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

It should work, but for the moment just email me the pics to nick at lurcher dot org and I will add them to a post of your very own.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg2010
User

Post by Greg2010 »

Thanks for the info Paul :D
Greg2010
User

Post by Greg2010 »

All working now thanks Nick,
El84 pp about 15w
started a while ago

And now complete, and sounding well.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I good presentation. Did you polish the copper or somehow do all the work without scratching it?

I like the brass rings at the bass of the valves.

The sides integrate well with the folded copper, that can easily be made to look amateur.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Excellent job Greg!
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

very nice job, love the finish of the copper
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

There ya go. :D

Oh yes smart indeed :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Greg2010
User

Post by Greg2010 »

The copper sheet is very soft, easily damaged even fingernails mark it, a bugger to work with really.
I squared all the cut outs, drilled all the holes then polished the copper, it does have some blemishes, but they don't show in the photograph. Soft metals like copper "pull" and the holes go out of shape if you're not careful when polishing. The brass rings I made because I wasn't happy with the way the valve cutouts in the copper looked, a bit wasteful really, I turned them out of solid, so there was more swarf left than finished pieces.
I've changed the valve bases for ceramic ones since I took the photo, the ones i originally used were causing problems.

Greg2010
User

Post by Greg2010 »

Modified 4396 dac with lundhal LL1517 output transformers and a 6n3 variable gain output. Excuse the messy wiring :oops: it all wants tidying up a bit. It weighs a bit for a dac, there are four separate traffos and regulated supplies for individual sections.

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Cool, I am building something very like that at the moment.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg2010
User

#26 4396

Post by Greg2010 »

Hi Nick,
Did you get Ali's saturating, sowter output transformers sorted out ? He spoke to me about it at Owston.He was going to get you to fit some specially wound units I believe.

Regards
GReg
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, its the replacement O'Netics transformers I am using now, had them for the last 6 months, just never got round to it. Ali has been using them for some months.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

How are they Nick?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Will know after more tweeking :-)
tubehunter
User

Post by tubehunter »

Hi Greg

Glad to see the copper used to finish the amp to such a high standard.

Sounds pretty good?

I've got two monoblocks on the go at the moment, finished in brass this time.
I notice you have painted the transformer covers, any special paint needed here?

Duncan