Valve Shunt Regulator Design Walk-Through

We all start somewhere
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yep that sounds reasonable. (Previous post)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Cheers
Is Dave a bit slow at responding to email ?
He hasn't replied to the last two I sent yet, last night's one was effectively giving him an order.
If you could have a word - just need to confirm the spec and any adjustment to the cost if we want to add a few more lams .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes he can be slow. Depends what else is going on.

I'll drop a reminder anyway. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Spoke to Dave today . He's seen the transformer spec, but is very busy . He'll get onto it when he can , that's OK by me.

Just downloaded LTSpice so I can try & understand a few things without Nick or Andrew having to do it all .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Nick, when you're back from Bristol, can you pass me the Spice model of the supply that you put together ?
Cheers.

I found this post from Dave Cigna about how to model Zout , which looks very useful .
http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Mike - I got a reply from Dave, and he can do what I want and give me 650mA on the HT winding . So, this one's a go-er .
Extra current is always useful :thumbleft:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Super! :D

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Got the new mains transformer from Dave this morning .
Looking good !
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#114 Circuit Sim

Post by IslandPink »

Got a model which looks correct , on LTSpice now .
See attached .
Not getting much useful info from it yet. I ran a 'DC op pt' analysis , hoping to get out some voltages , but the most I can see in the little table it produces is about 53V .
What I'd like is to be able to probe the circuit and see the voltages and currents in various places, with it just 'idling' with a steady-state 300mA load on the end . I think I got the load, although it seems to call it a 'current source' for some reason, when you edit the boxes .

Any tips appreciated - let me know if anything looks wrong on the circuit .
Attachments
TRex_sim_1.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

There are some parameters that look OK, like the current through the inductors, but I notice some things are not right - for instance no current passing through the KT88 cathode resistor .

I'm also searching for info on how to identify the numbering of the nodes that are listed in the dc analysis , and where there are on the circuit .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Ah, once I've done a simulation run, I can hover the cursor over the various nodes and the data comes up. Excellent .
It would appear one big problem with this circuit at present is that any voltages I can find are all negative - the B+ line is at -50V or so - and none of the shunt valves are conducting .
How queer ...
I think I've connected up the rectifiers correctly and the voltage source is correct .. ?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Put cursor over a 'wire' in schematic, node number shows in status bar at bottom, 'This is node Nxxx'

You can make your own names & labels for any with F4 key.

Can't see anything obviously wrong in that diagram but then I'm not familiar with that circuit.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote:Ah, once I've done a simulation run, I can hover the cursor over the various nodes and the data comes up. Excellent .
You figured it out before I could post :D
It would appear one big problem with this circuit at present is that any voltages I can find are all negative - the B+ line is at -50V or so - and none of the shunt valves are conducting .
How queer ...
Ah!! It's the current source I1, it will force a Voltage regardless until its set current is achieved.

Ctrl + right mouse click on it to get the bigger attributes window, somewhere on there should be 'Make this a load', tick that check box. It will then work like a CCS.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

PS: personally I prefer a resistor as a load, value as appropriate Vreq.d / Ireq.d.

Have you got series DC resistances for L1 & L2?

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Mike H wrote:Ah!! It's the current source I1, it will force a Voltage regardless until its set current is achieved.

Ctrl + right mouse click on it to get the bigger attributes window, somewhere on there should be 'Make this a load', tick that check box. It will then work like a CCS.
Aaargg !
So, I ticked 'Parasitic properties > This is an active load' .
Now all of the voltages are tiny, only fV .
Hmmm....

If you want to the have the circuit ( .asc ) , Mike , send me your email via a PM . Which is not to say I'm implying 'fix it for me!' at all . Just if you're interested .