A2 experiments.

We all start somewhere
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

Oooh that looks lurvely! Large hunk of graphite, top cap and its thoriated!.... :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

thomas wrote:Oooh that looks lurvely! Large hunk of graphite, top cap and its thoriated!.... :D
Yep, and when I looked on e-bay they were neither cheap nor plentiful. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

They do come up cheap as singles occasionally but the trove of them I have has been amassed over a good few years TBH Phil. Yeah, they look pricier now. Meh! I don't think they're lusted after that much.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

A cursory glance at the spec sheet foprces me to say, 'Why not - onwards indeed' partic. if you have manage to get them cheap.

just thinking a tad about grid bias ... have you seen the pages from Sushido, how and what he does in the bias dept of various valves? Something to be gleaned from that p'rapps.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

No I haven't MrI but I will, ta for the pointer.

Onwoodz.

DTB
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Hefty !
What kind of volts can you feed it, Dave ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Sorry for the delay Mark, well, before I breakdown The Didcot I thought I'd do a bit of note making and very basic measurement.

Output across my 8R dummy load...

and P-P swing across the grid to cathode of the TZ40....

I think I've calculated the power output to be approx 9W into an 8R load driven to just before clipping. I also think there's a lot of 2nd harmonic distortion there because either half of the sine isn't the same.

I can swing 54V pk-pk into the grid of the TZ40 before the driver stage clips. I also think thats where some of the 2nd harmonic distortion is coming from, not too sure, I'm still learning here.

DTB
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yep is compressing on one half cycle. I also notice the driver is doing it too, maybe all of it, going by the polarity I presume the compressed peaks correspond to large positive anode Volts, large negative grid Volts and lowest anode current. :?:

Of the driver that is.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: just thinking a tad about grid bias ... have you seen the pages from Sushido, how and what he does in the bias dept of various valves? Something to be gleaned from that p'rapps.
I've been swotting up on different ways designers introduce and generate +ve bias MrI, ta for pointing me to Shishido.

http://lagarto-ex-infoseek.jp/shishido/801a.png

He uses a 317 here to regulate the +ve bias voltage, but another thing thats interesting is the primary impedance of the o/p TX, thats very low for an 801 isn't it?

DTB
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

but another thing thats interesting is the primary impedance of the o/p TX, thats very low for an 801 isn't it?
You weill find when you start drawing A2 load lines, that lower primary impedance gets you into a better place as long as you can cleanly swing the +ve signal.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote: You weill find when you start drawing A2 load lines, that lower primary impedance gets you into a better place as long as you can cleanly swing the +ve signal.
Wow wee, so much to learn here, I didn't know that Nick. Ta's.

When you say "as long as you can cleanly swing the +ve signal" thats when the XC of the O/put valve starts placing big demands on the driver/driving circuitry yes?

DTB
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got the swing.

I take this to mean, build it and have a listen, keep your nose peeled incase something smells like its frying ... but if it sounds good!

I went to an amazing lecture yesterday where digital processing was shown to give more clarity to the hearing impaired but that was fine for speech. With such processing harmonics got crunched so listening to music through these processors which are built into the best and latest hearing aids makes musical appreciation horrible as what was even harmonics (typically 2nd) gets trashed into odd harmonics (3rd and fifth) - total yuk city! It was a very articulate and funny presentation. The cheese and wine afterward (we're talking Cambridge University here oooo-er) made it all seem very worthwhile, Larks.

Then Anna took me for a splash up meal at Brown's - this is the way to go.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote:
Nick wrote: You weill find when you start drawing A2 load lines, that lower primary impedance gets you into a better place as long as you can cleanly swing the +ve signal.
Wow wee, so much to learn here, I didn't know that Nick. Ta's.

When you say "as long as you can cleanly swing the +ve signal" thats when the XC of the O/put valve starts placing big demands on the driver/driving circuitry yes?

DTB
Yes, but its not XC, remember in A2 the grid becomes an anode.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Aaah, OK, from a thread years ago about the phrase 'difficult to drive' I remembered capacitive reactance reared its head and thought that was at play here too.

So in A2 with the grid become anode like and current flowing is it the impedance of the grid requiring a driving power (both voltage and current drive) that makes driving in A2 a bigger issue here then Nick?

DTB
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote:Aaah, OK, from a thread years ago about the phrase 'difficult to drive' I remembered capacitive reactance reared its head and thought that was at play here too.

So in A2 with the grid become anode like and current flowing is it the impedance of the grid requiring a driving power (both voltage and current drive) that makes driving in A2 a bigger issue here then Nick?

DTB
Yes, thats THE big issue for A2. Also, when the grid goes -ve (if it does) it goes back to being a grid again, so the driver stage has to cope with both conditions. Hence the need for low impedance,

One way is to drive the cathode. Its still low impedance, but its a more consistent low impedance.