Luddite's squeezebox debut.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote:You could pick out your snoozyest most comfortable closely knitted tank-top inflected tracks and add them to a playlist and call that 'Snoozeathon' too.

'Music for the Deaf' I'd call it :-)

DTB
Whatya say sonny ? :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Whatya say sonny ? :wink: :lol:
Aha! That explains a lot re- your music collection :) Heheheheheheeh(etc).

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Regarding turning things off, with the touch I'd leave it powerd on. If you power it off each and every time it has to re-boot, re-connect and re-scan (if using tinySC) and that can take time, best to leave it in standby, it draws 2w or less in standby. I also leave my DAC powered on, again around 2w consumption. These are low figures and easily swamped by electric ovens, kettle, immersion heaters, showers etc etc. Don't worry about it.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

yeah but no but yeah but......

there are 25 million homes in GB and if 50% of them left their 2 items on standby that would be 50 mw required , which would need 5 wind farms(20 turbines per farm at 1.5mw per unit flat out) to be running just to power something that isn't being used...

in reality lots of us leave more than 2 small items on standby and the turbines are not at capacity for a lot of time so it requires many more than those mentioned..........

public service nerdy post.....figures are not precise and just for illustration......

just sayin

diet: I've left my linkstation music server on pretty much all the time since 2006
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Ah but those 25 million homes also leave lights switched on, put too much water in the kettle for a cuppa, leave the telly playing to itself etc. These things swamp items on standby drawing 1 or 2w, addressing the above would save far more energy short and long term than worrying over items left on standby. Plus it would save housholds a lot of money...My SBT can stay in standby for 65 hours for the same energy use as one 4 min kettle boil...
ed
retired

Post by ed »

absolutely, totally agree....I was just saying...

the info on the wind farms was interesting though, well it was to me, I didn't realise that they rely on the existing grid to operate......if the grid has a blackout for whatever reason then the turbines can't operate...go figure
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Well yes, the power has to be distributed somehow, using the National grid is the obvious way, unless you want to build your own grid. :P
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Well yes, the power has to be distributed somehow, using the National grid is the obvious way, unless you want to build your own grid.
sorry Ali, I didn't write my post particularly well.........what I meant to say was that the turbines actually need power from the grid before they themselves will produce power............so if there is a power cut on the grid for whatever reason then the turbines can't operate, and put power back into the grid...if you see what i mean
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Ah I see. Yes quite correct. Been involved with quite a few windfarms now. Changing a blown transformer in the bottom of a turbine was a particularly interesting exercise- they are not really meant to be changed. Involved lots of wooden sleepers and a highly articulated hiab. Came out in pieces after being flame cut in situ. Very dodgy if you ask me. Still, got there in the end. :?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I see having a new phone hasn't helped the old posting in stereo trick..
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Got rid of of of them for you Ali.

I guess they need to have a supply from the grid to allow them to function when there is no wind. Also, I assume that they need the grid to provide the 50Hz to sync with. I remember James describing the "fun" bringing a new generator on line and getting it into phase with the grid.

Is there a central reference somewhere that sets the 50Hz that everything locks to, or is it a average across the generators?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Ali's probably the expert here, but I'll throw a bit in anyway.....

I had the full tour of electric mountain in Wales a couple of years back and if I recall correctly the grid controllers monitor the phase all the time because variations indicate load.......I think the girl said that if it drops a tad below 50hz then they order more supply(fire up another station), or in dinorwig(sp?) case they let the water go......

Ali will doubtless put me right here
Last edited by ed on Sat May 05, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Cheers Nick.

The big substations use the radio signal from the Rugby atomic clock to keep accurate time and frequency lock for generation connected to the grid. There are synchronizing relays that then handle the timing of generator connection. At least that's the way they used to do it, I've not been on a National Grid site for a few years now. Don't imagine it's changed much though, they like tried and tested tech for obvious reasons.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Just saw your post Ed, you're not wrong!
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I loved the electric Mountain Tour. One of the gratest experiences of my life.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein