AnTec Power Transformer spec Help Pleas

We all start somewhere
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Right ok after a check around with my DMM Q4 is confirmed to be YELLOW 0v /White 360v together FOR.CT 360-0-360V
So this leaves
Q2. Mains side also has a static shield wire is this wire connected to chassis or left unconnected not used i have no experience with this how is the static shield wire intended to be used
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I've never had a transformer with a static shield connection, but as far as I understand that wire goes to ground.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Nah! why bother. My Antek 360-0-360 is very happily driving the 833s. It doesn't even get warm.

Now why don't I get a bigger version with loads of current. The 360-0-360 on load give me 910 lovely volts. I want more!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

pre65 wrote:I've never had a transformer with a static shield connection, but as far as I understand that wire goes to ground.
Yep think it must be to ground as there's nowhere else it can go is there
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Nah! why bother. My Antek 360-0-360 is very happily driving the 833s. It doesn't even get warm.

Now why don't I get a bigger version with loads of current. The 360-0-360 on load give me 910 lovely volts. I want more!
That's not bad actually if one transformer is driving two 833a. I get 950v HT with monoblocks.

Glad you are pleased with the sound so far. :)

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

colin.hepburn wrote:
pre65 wrote:I've never had a transformer with a static shield connection, but as far as I understand that wire goes to ground.
Yes, just to confirm for Colin, take the shield to protective earth, which may not be the same as your signal ground.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Nick wrote:
colin.hepburn wrote:
Yes, just to confirm for Colin, take the shield to protective earth, which may not be the same as your signal ground.
Thanks for the update nick :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I think the others have covered it.

It does indeed look like white to yellow to get 360 - 0 - 360, however with that, one of the "70V" would be 70V relative to ground, but the other 290V relative to ground. Different story if they were wired in parallel of course.

Personally, I make screen connection to chassis, with most likely signal earth to chassis via an earth-lift resistor.

NB: the screen is literally a copper sheet between primary and secondary windings.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep thanks mike
It was the 70v wires that were distracting me i have no need for the 70v winding so yes 360v white to 0v yellow for 360-0-360v though it was but it helps me if it's verified by some as well
screen connection to chassis with say 100R 5w earth-lift resistor. Would that be ok then :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Well the earth-lift resistor is for signal (amp circuit) earth or 0V, if you use one, I'd make the screen to chassis, aka mains earth.

The reason for the screen is to minimize capacitive coupling between high Voltage ends of the primary and opposite phase high Voltage ends of a secondary. This takes some stress off the insulation for each winding.

Also, capacitively coupled mains spikes and other such mains-bourne noisy crap goes to the screen instead and thence to mains earth. :D

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Another question re Transformers. Antek but not make specific.

I'm pricing up some fairly hefty 0-120 + 0-120 toroids, somewhere between 400 -600va for an OTL project. They seem rare off the shelf. :(

BUT, toroids with 115 + 115 primarys and 115 + 115 secondarys seem more common.

Thing is, in the UK feeding 240v in (primarys in series) should give 2 X 120v out, or is my logic flawed ? :)

PS How about these monsters, and they have the 6v and 12v secs needed as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000VA-Toroid ... 7088157%26

Edmund Burke

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Looks good but the low voltage windings are intended for adjusting the other winding voltages as required.

You can use them for heaters but you can't be sure there is a screen and so any diode switching noise would be transferred from them to the HT and vice verca.

Least noise problems occur when we use a different core for LT to the one used for HT, except for heating the rectifiers.

This statement does not mean you will have problems it warns you problems of this nature sometimes occur and when they do they are usually not repairable.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

pre65 wrote:
BUT, toroids with 115 + 115 primarys and 115 + 115 secondarys seem more common.

Thing is, in the UK feeding 240v in (primarys in series) should give 2 X 120v out, or is my logic flawed ? :)
I have such a transformer here which gives me 127v.
Our mains is usually in excess of 240v though. Also the transformer is Chinese so anything could be going on. :)
Much to learn there is.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I like Antek transformers, but would like to avoid the shipping and Parcelthief charges.

As Steve was pleased with Airlink I checked out their standard range, for 230v primary and two 115v secs.

They do

300va @ £36 and 750va @ £48, plus VAT and postage.

Thing is, 750va is total overkill for what I (might) need, but for the little extra why not ? My mind goes back to the early days of Russ Abbott when he was an amp modder and always said "use the biggest transformers you can".:wink:

Also, if the amp project fails I can use them as isolation transformers to feed my system. :)

PS 1000va is £60, dare I ? Should I ? WTF why not ? :lol:

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

You're right about 240 in, 120 out