askii Alt codes

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 askii Alt codes

Post by Paul Barker »

Is it just Windows 8 or has the alt code for pi changed. Alt 227 generates Ã’ on my windows 8 laptop. Last time I looked that wasn't the symbol for pi. Anyone else experienced similar oddity?

Sadly windows 8 doesn't seem to have the character map. That is to say I can't find it from a search, doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere!

Windows 8 has a long way to go before it is user friendly. But it is very fast and boots up from cold in about a 1/4 of the time of a windows 7 laptop, so worth persevering with.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Paul

AFAIK ascii standard is 7 bits, giving 0-127 characters. This was extended to 8 bits to give a max of 256 chars but the chars 128-256 are not standard and are those used by different geo regions to display their own national character set.....

I think, but I may be wrong here, that the 8 bit codes(128-256) will be interpreted differently in windows, and will be dependent on which regional character set you are running

other more clued up windows experts may qualify this
Windows 8 has a long way to go before it is user friendly. But it is very fast and boots up from cold in about a 1/4 of the time of a windows 7 laptop, so worth persevering with.
doesn't this depend on what processes you have told windows to run and how many apps the registry knows about, and consequently has to check for validity.........most users have a long way to go before they understand what windows is doing with it's time :wink:

edit: choose font symbol and type ALT 112
Last edited by ed on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I'm guessing it's in Unicode, which is 'all the rage' now, web browsers went like that a while back so then needed different number code sequences for special characters.

2 bytes for each character, not one, so alt+ 227 isn't going to do it.

Curious as it may seem, alt+ 0277 still isn't it but gets a different characer...

Found it in my Vista Unicode character map, pi = hex 03C0, 2 bytes.

Which is in English money, 1st byte value 3, 2nd byte value 192. I think....

If you can get a character map might, or should, have different character sets to use. Maybe :?:

Vista's does anyway

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Paul.

Take your mouse pointer into the lower left hand corner of the screen to expose the start button and left click. This should take you to the main Metro dashboard. Now RIGHT click anywhere on a blank portion of desktop (not on any of the tiles) and you will get a bar slide up from the bottom of the page. This should have a single button called "All Apps" on it. Select this and you should be presented with a mass of new tiles on the Metro dashboard. One of these will be the "old style" character map..... Hope that helps.

PS, I have been using 8 for a couple of months now and have had no such issues with it timing out, expiring or not working. Maybe worth downloading a few updates and seeing if that fixes it. After all, why would they time it out? It's a Beta... It needs testing...

Good luck !!!
©2020 Lee
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you everyone for helping.

Lee buy machine was set to auto update so the extension must have applied as it is fine. My wife didn't set auto update and she got a day of those warnings which are described on the link Neal gave then next day no bootinfo on hard disc. Dead computer.

No worries she can use mine for her studies.lie theed children she simply must have office. I have no such tires I can use open source. So I will stock Ubuntu on her machine for when she needs mine.

Stupid thing is her machine id a work one licenced fire XP but her computer department if so hopeless after waiting months for it to get to the top of the repair pile they sent it back in very pour state and it failed again within a week. That is when I put 8 onto it. We have given up with work it department. So she now uses my machine at work if she needs to.

These days in tee work environment everyone is scared for their jobs so they put up with this kind of situation.

Fortunately I have trained her to only work from USB sticks.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Sorry scout all the idiot words above. The little man inside my Samsung who decides I have b not hit theed Keyes I have hit speaks an alien language. I have retirees training him but it is a lost cause. He would prefer to use the incorrect word spelled properly than the correct word not spelled properly. Like everyone else who is not dyslexic, he'd is obsessed with spelling. But Alsop like them has a ridiculous perspective on relative significance, in the sense that a word which is incorrectly spelled but makes sense is clearly much better used in as sentence than a meaningless word correctly spelled. AI shall never take off if this is three best it can do. never
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you once more in your debt Lee.

following your instructions I have found everything that was in windows 7 that was hidden to windows 8 (though why they should have done that is beyond me other than to try and shift everyones thinking over to tablet methods which in my view are a pale shaddow of the computer desktop had evolved).

This whole shift of emphasis is a big mistake. All I am trying to do is get my machine back to a computer.

Anyway now I have pinned character map to the taskbar I can do this:

µF and this Π, which is meant to be capital pi and this Ï€ is little pi. Though they are fairly unsatisfactory. I think I prefer to write pi. the others look like an n. But at least we have µ! I get so tired of people using the symbol for millifarrad mF to communicate microfarrad they are miles of decimel places out. I may be dsyslexic and so not obsessed about spelling, but I do think that to communicate the correct decimel place is rather important when discussing mathematical issues.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Does not uF mean the same to us on here ? :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote:Does not uF mean the same to us on here ? :wink:
It may do, but its also useful when describing the µ of a triode.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

When I'm lazy, which is often, just write 'mu' :D

Paul Barker wrote:Sorry scout all the idiot words above. The little man inside my Samsung who decides I have b not hit theed Keyes I have hit speaks an alien language. I have retirees training him but it is a lost cause. He would prefer to use the incorrect word spelled properly than the correct word not spelled properly. Like everyone else who is not dyslexic, he'd is obsessed with spelling. But Alsop like them has a ridiculous perspective on relative significance, in the sense that a word which is incorrectly spelled but makes sense is clearly much better used in as sentence than a meaningless word correctly spelled. AI shall never take off if this is three best it can do. never
iPhone editor is like that too! lol....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

OK I loaded ubuntu on Dianas machine. So we will have a swap she can take mine to work and I'll use hers. Who cares?

There is now Ubuntu 11.10 so I upgraded to that.

First reboot after the install of upgrade screen froze no keyboard or mouse.

So hard rebooted (press and hold power button) second boot up it was fine.

With Windows 8 being so hard to navigate (bit like trying to write left handed looking over your shoulder in a mirror. Ubuntu is actually the more user friendly of the two. And it's faster.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

The above didn't actually belong here but what ho it's my thread so I can wreck it.