Using laptop as source.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
al newall
Needs to get out more

#1 Using laptop as source.

Post by al newall »

Just been given a reasonable laptop with a 120 GB non sata HD.
Thought i'd put to use as a music source, if it's suitable.
I'll probably graduate to a Squeezebox or something when funds allow, and when i know more about it.

Never done any serious ripping to hard drives before, so i thought this would be a good chance to get some practice in.

Here's some questions.

Should i keep the existing Windows Vista or install Linux?
Using Linux would mean loads more questions and help, as i only really used it for internet browsing before. No idea about installing software etc.

Which lossless files should i be using and which software will do the ripping and playing job?

I'll need a cheapish USB soundcard, preferably with coaxial or BNC spdif out. Can't be spending too much if i'm saving for a Squeezebox. Any suggestions.
Much to learn there is.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I'd say the majority use FLAC. Exact Audio Copy is free and rips bit perfect copies, but it's not the most user friendly of copiers. I like and use dbpoweramp. I think there is still a trial version, but you have to pay about 40 quid or so for the full version. It's very easy to use.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

BTW, some laptops have a dual headphone/toslink socket, if yours does you just need an optical lead, assuming your dac has a socket. If not there are cheap optical/coax converters around.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

At the moment I am on Windows 8.. But before when I had dual boot win7 and Ubuntu the Ubuntu ability to play music sounded considerably better. That is to say playing FLAC files with Fubar in Windows 7 was not as good as playing the same files on the same computer in Ubuntu. I have just forgoten the name of the player, but it is open source.

My Samsung Galaxy SII is much better than the laptop in Windows 8 at playing FLAC files also. I can't compare it to Ubuntu as don't have that system running now.

If you don't need the latest MS Office there is no great attraction to keeping Vista. But I am no computer expert.

I will say Windows 8 which is free at for the moment is pretty good. though it has to go through it's field trials and that hasn't been without hitch. Biut then that is how ubuntu also tends to go. Constantly evolving.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Well i have two usb sockets on the laptop and nothing else, so a usb soundcard seems my only option. How do you know if an external card is going to be better than the onboard one.

I'll download Ubunto or similar later, and we'll start from there.
It's time i got to grips with it anyway.
The laptop has just enough memory (1 gig), for Windows 8, so there's another option.
Much to learn there is.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

al newall wrote:How do you know if an external card is going to be better than the onboard one.
The sound will be built into the motherboard of the laptop, and will be subject to all kinds of crosstalk and bus (not yer no. 47) noise.

As to ripping and media player - EAC is free and does secure ripping, and checks its rip results against an online database.

Foobar is a free media player that has some very powerful functions built in.
Both programs only work on Windows OS.
Seeing as the OS is Vista you could use the WASAPI option to bypass all of the main OS sound drivers, which will yield improved sound quality.
The foobar2000 Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) output support component allows you to play your music using WASAPI exclusive mode.

WASAPI is a new audio output method introduced in Windows Vista; among other things, it provides an exclusive mode that allows applications to take full control over soundcard's resources (muting any sounds played by other applications) and play unaltered bitstream without passing it through the Windows mixer.
Chris :happy3:
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

How about this soundcard. Not particularly cheap, but it looks like it's a serious sort of thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120870283750? ... 1438.l2649
Much to learn there is.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

FWIW I use this:

Citronic AC-1USB

Seems perfectly good to me. No drivers needed, just plug it in, Vista immediately adopts it as the primary in/out sound device. Phono sockets, input level control and RIAA EQ. Works much better with good interconnect cables though I've found, don't use cheapo ones just because "it's only the computer" like I did originally :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Oooh another one.
No spdif though.

Also found this.........

Much to learn there is.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Another option, if you have one, is to use an Ipad2 and the camera connection kit to stream music using USB to an external DAC...music could be on the Ipad or on a remote server like a squeezebox running squeezecenter...if I where to approach my setup again from the start I'd be tempted to do it this way...just an idea.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Might be cheaper to buy a USB-S/PDIF converter?
ed
retired

Post by ed »

best value usb to spdif I have seen:

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/ws/eBayISAPI ... 0224623665

but I can recommend the behringer 202 as fantastic value for money if you don't want to spend too much.......it's good for remote studio recording so I can vouch for it's hifi capability

edit: sorry Al, mine is the 222 like here, and it does have an optical spdif:

http://www.studiospares.com/audio-inter ... tZhg%3D%3D
Last edited by ed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I was looking at the Behringers, nice to have some first hand opinion.

One of the customer reviews i read said it wasn't hifi quality, whatever that means.
Seems better value than some others, at that price.

Anyone compared EAC beginners mode to using the expert settings?
I tried the beginners method last night, and it tells me the rips were perfect.

Might be cheaper to buy a USB-S/PDIF converter?
I hadn't thought of that. :roll:
Much to learn there is.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

al newall wrote:Anyone compared EAC beginners mode to using the expert settings?
I tried the beginners method last night, and it tells me the rips were perfect.
If you've run the Wizard to set things to rip as accurately as possible then there shouldn't be any difference in rip quality between "beginner" and "expert" mode.

Expert mode just makes it easier to screw the settings up :wink:
Chris :happy3:
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

asynchronous US to SPDIFF converters are said to be better but of course cost more.
I use a Musical fidelity V-Link one with my laptop. Means i can then use any DAC
Thoughts are just little stories that our brains tell us !